Chapter 7: Lunch

TW: calorie counting

Tsukishima's POV

Yams and I were on our way to school when we heard Y/n  "Tsuki, Yams! Hi!" she yelled. She and her brother caught up to us. "how are you?" she asked. 

"tired." I replied as Yams replied "good."

"Oh,  ok. Did I miss anything yesterday?" she said. She left early then. When Hinata asked Akio where she was at practice yesterday, Akio bluntly replied "the doctors." he hesitated before answering, which was kinda weird.

We started to walk together, and I heard Y/n start humming a song- body by Mother Mother. It's a song about body dysmorphia, eating disorders, depression, self-harm, abuse- however you interoperate it, but those are the main ones.

"hey, y/n, what song are you humming?" Yams asked. "Wait, hu- Oh- uh-" Akio panicked. "it's nothing. just a random tune. Sorry, I have a habit of doing that" Y/n said, calm and collected, like her normal self. She laughed it off, but I knew she was lying. Something in her eyes changed when she said that.

I don't think she was 'humming a random tune', and if there was nothing going on with it, why would she lie? And if she just genuinely liked the band, she could have said so. There really is something going on with her. 

We show up to school. First period is math, which I have with Y/n and Yams.

Y/n's POV

I show up to math, along with Yams and Tsukki. We go to our desks- mine is in the front row.

In a bit of time, the teacher starts talking as a doodle, thinking back to yesterday's appointment, then my conversation with Akio on the first day of school.

Everyone is saying I should tell the team in some time. Why? I just met them a little while ago. About a week. Sure, they are good people, I'm gonna spend a lot of time around them, and we're on the same team but...

I don't know them. Sure, they care, but who knows how they are going to react. I know they may already be worried, but still, there is so much going on. There's so much I need to learn about them. Who knows how it will-

"L/n?"

I snap out of my thoughts "Hm? Yes, sensei?"

"Can you please answer this question?" 

"I can try." He handed me the chalk, and I went up to the board. Right now, we are simply reviewing solving for X

(150 x  2) + 95 + 20 + (O x 2)  =  505 What is O?

Oh, I know this one. I explain as I write it down. "150 times 2 is 300. 95 + 20 is 115. 115 plus 300 is 415. If 505 is the answer, then 415 must be subtracted from 505. That is 90. 90 would be O multiplied by 2, which means to find O, we must divide 2 by 90. That would be 45." After doing so, I write O = 45 and circle it.

"Correct. Please pay attention when I am speaking though." 

"Yes sensei, sorry" I say as I bow my head. In reality, I was thinking of 2 blueberry and chocolate breakfast bars, an apple, 20 strawberries. By the end, O became 2 oranges. It's ironic how it began with the same letter.

*time skip- lunch*

I sat down at a table, which my brother joined, handing me a bento box... and oddly enough, Yams and Tsukki did too. "Thanks Aki... Yams, Tsukki?" 

"There wasn't anywhere else to sit." Tsukki said. 

"Oh, ok." 

Akio looked over to the other 2. Yams had Udon noodles. Tsukki didn't bring anything. "Hey, Tsukki, where's your lunch?" Akio said. 

"I left it home." he replied. 

"Do you want any of mine?" I offered. "No thanks."

"If you say so..." I had Onigiri and a cup of Soba. 203 and 113 calories. The 2 fried eggs for breakfast was 85, each. 170. 336 + 170 =506. I ended up cutting the Onigiri in 1/2. "You should eat at least a bit though. We have practice. Here." I put it on a napkin and gave it to him. 

"Thank you" He replied.

now it's 101.5. 101.5 + 114 + 170 

I went back to eating my own food after that, as I listened to Yams and Akio talk, occasionally evolving myself in the conversation. Akio gave me some popcorn too- 106. He also gave me ice tea. I took a sip. It's sweetened. 90.

101.5 + 114 + 170 + 106 = 491.5. Including the iced tea, it's 581.5. When they looked away, I scrunched my nose a bit.

Tsukki's POV

I occasionally slid some of the onigiri under the table as I looked at the others. Yams and Akio are talking about something, as Y/n and I watch. 

After a bit, Akio says "Oh, I almost forgot."

He took out a container of popcorn, which he handed to Y/n. "A snack." He said "shit, you don't have a drink, and pulled out a water bottle. Right after, he got back to his conversation with Yams. That was strange.

I look over to eyebags as she scrunched her nose.

There is no telling me nothing is going on at this point, because her moments hinted at it. She basically collapsed at practice on the first day. The song from this morning, and the lie following it. Math almost seemed like she has a calculator in her brain- she solved it way too quickly. Next thing you know, her brother is giving her extra food, and she is seemingly annoyed.

What if she also suspects me? Judging from the way she was when it came to sharing lunch, she may.  The only thing I can do is hope she doesn't.

A/N: once again I'm sorry it's been such a long! holy crap, a year. I'm also sorry for the shorter chapter

posted jan 16, 2022