Chapter Seven

"You poor thing," Hana whispered as she kneeled beside the wolf. It was completely covered in blood and was hardly breathing.

Seeing a wolf in these areas was surprising since they usually reside in colder regions. Hana was half happy and half disappointed to see the wolf. Wolves happened to be her most favorite animals. But she did not expect to meet one in such circumstances.

"What should I do?" She asked herself as she inspected the wolf more. It had a broken leg, and it seemed as if something had bit it since there was a part of its skin missing.

She needed professional tools for the treatment, and for that, she needed to move the wolf to a different location. It was dark outside, the only light coming from the moon. And the wolf required treatment quickly.

Fortunately, the wolf was unconscious, so touching and moving it would be fine, and she'd be safe. But the problem was that a normal wolf weighs from about forty to eighty kg, meaning more than a hundred pounds. It was way beyond what Hana could handle alone.

Hana huffed and dropped to the ground. The wolf was no threat to her since it was unconscious. She sat there, in the moonlight, thinking of a solution. Hana knew she couldn't leave the wolf alone, even for a second. She needed help. Hana groaned in frustration. Having left with no options, she called Taehyung.

"What is it?" Taehyung said coldly as soon as he picked up, indicating that he was still upset.

"Tae, I need help," Hana sounded desperate.

"What? Why?" Taehyung voice changed as he became worried, "where are you?"

"Don't worry. It's not me." She breathed, "I was walking in the forest when I found this injured wolf." There was silence on the other end. Hana knew Tae was mad, so she sighed, closed her eyes, and continued, "Tae, you know me. I had to help."

"I know," Taehyung said quietly. He knew that Hana had a soft spot for animals and couldn't see them in any pain. "What do I need to do?" He huffed.

"Oh my God, Thankyou Tae! I love you!" Hana said enthusiastically and continued giving him instructions on what he needed to bring her.

"I'll be there, wait for me," Tae said before hanging up.

Hana sat there looking after the wolf. She checked its heartbeat and breathing to see if it was normal. They were, fortunately. She carefully inspected it more and checked for any other injuries but found none other than some minor scratches here and there.

"I am here," Hana jumped at the sudden announcement.

"Oh my God, Tae! You scared me," she whispers shouted. Taehyung just shrugged his shoulders and gave Hana the things she asked him to bring. "How'd you get here so fast?" She asked as she looked into the bag.

"I have long legs," Taehyung said as he sat down beside her and carefully looked at the wolf.

"I'll try and get this done quickly," Hana said as she moved towards the wolf and started doing her job.

"No rush, take your time," Tae said before shuffling into a comfortable position.

Firstly Hana removed as much blood as she could with the cotton pads. Then she quickly disinfected the open wound before stitching it up. Hana carefully lifted the broken leg and checked where the bone had broken. The wolf whimpered, and its leg twitched when she pressed a particular part. Hana wasn't sure whether the damage was critical or minor. She needed to do an ultrasound to make sure. But that was impossible in this case. So she decided to wait till morning and injected it with some anti-inflammatory medicine. That could help ease some of the pain. Lastly, she treated the minor wounds and asked Taehyung to help move the wolf to a safer place.

They ended up taking the wolf back to the farmhouse and made it comfortable in their backyard. After making sure the wolf was okay, Taehyung went into the farmhouse after saying goodnight to Hana.

Hana stayed behind with the wolf and kept checking on it. She knew she wouldn't be able to sleep, so, might as well stay with her patient.

Hana couldn't remember how or when she fell asleep, but when she woke up to the bright sunlight, the wolf was gone. She started to panic and worry. There was no sign of the wolf, and it still had a broken leg. Hana was hopeless, and she couldn't do anything.

She told Mrs. Wang what had happened and also informed Tae that the wolf ran away. Taehyung told her not to worry, but that was impossible for Hana. How could she possibly relax when she knew there was an injured wolf out there, who could potentially be in more danger.

Taehyung ended up helping Hana search for the wolf in the forest most of the day. In the end, they both stumbled into the library, looking defeated.

"Who died?" Mr. Choi asked as he saw the gloomy look on their faces.

"A wolf," Taehyung told without even thinking and earned a slap on his shoulder.

"Don't say that! It might still be out there." Hana scolded, trying to stay positive.

"A wolf? Around here? In Busan? How did that happen?" Mr. Choi asked as he stumbles over his words.

On an ordinary day, Hana would've caught this. But she was too fazed to focus on anything else but the wolf. "I don't know. I just need to make sure it's alright." She slammed her head on the table.

"I am sure the wolf is fine," Taehyung reassured as he and Mr. Choi passed a look. Everyone was silent after that.

"Mr.Choi, I brought the books you asked me about last time."

The silence had broken.

Both Taehyung and Mr.Choi panicked as they saw Jungkook walk in. And Jungkook froze in the spot when he saw Hana sitting there.

"What happened to your leg?" That was the first thing Hana asked as she raised her head and inspected the doe-eyed boy from head to toe.

"Funny story," Jungkook chuckled awkwardly and rubbed his neck, "I broke it."