0·3

The more I listened to the lecturer in front of the class, the more I felt like everything he said was directed at me

"You can never keep running from your mistakes," said the chubby-kinda short-man as he held a pointer in his hand and stared back at us. After what felt like decades, he scratched his eyebrow and continued pacing as he spoke. "From Bronte's story, Wuthering heights, we see a lot of wrong decisions made by all the main characters. And like them, we all make mistakes we must learn to either overcome or live with."

Hardly anyone was paying attention to the man. At the far end of class, a few students were on their phones, only looking up from time to time to giggle and grin at one another. At the back, students were speaking in hushed voices. The few people who were paying attention probably were the ones majoring in the course.

For me, a business admin student, it was an elective. But I needed to pass.

Still, sadly, I was among the distracted ones. And my distraction was caused by none other than Kong.

"Do you think I should dye my hair blue?"

I turned my attention to him for the umpteenth time and raised a single eyebrow. My grip on my pencil loosening, so it fell slightly while I faced Kong. He pouted and slid a bit down his seat.

"Why would you want to do that?" I asked, raising my gaze to look at his blonde hair for a moment and then bringing it back down. "I like it this way."

"I don't know," sighed Kong as he raked a hand through his hair, a distraught look on his face. He stared me straight in the eye, and I stared back. "I keep thinking the reason Pat broke up with me was something else, not just you and James."

At the mention of his name, I took in a sharp breath that sent saliva down the wrong pipe and threw me into a fit of coughs. My chest burned, my eyes watered, my throat constricted, and after glancing at the rest of class, I realized the entire class was staring at me. And not with concern.

The lecturer looked ticked off with a frown on his face. Kong threw an apologetic look from his seat next to me, already knowing what would happen next.

"Miss Camden, is there a reason why you're interrupting my class?" the lecturer asked with a sarcastic twang to his tone. I just sat with my thighs pressed together.

James had taken this class last year. It was pure luck that he did, considering how things turned out between us. Take, for example, this very awkward moment. I would die if James were here.

"No, sir, I'm sorry."

Some people murmured in the background while the lecturer seemed to grow angrier. And just when I thought it was over for me, he sighed and checked his watch.

"Well then. Our time is up as it seems." The second those words left his lips, the students started getting up and packing their stuff, raising the noise in the room. I let out a sigh of relief. The lecturer raised his voice above the noise. "Your assignment is to evaluate the mistakes of each of the main characters in Wuthering Heights and state how those mistakes could have been averted." Every student in the room groaned.