1·7

I knew where we were headed before we even got there

I knew where we were headed before we even got there. It was the same store James and I always came to whenever we had to attend a function together. And I wouldn't lie, they did have pretty cool stuff. I just wasn't an evening gown type of girl. More like a lose jean romper and tee type.

The ride to Sloan's was uncomfortably quiet with the only sounds being James's playlist. I'd tried to hold my breath and repeat to myself that everything was coincident. That James wasn't just trying to recreate everything we shared together. But still, I couldn't shake the nostalgia.

To say the least, I was elated when we got to the fashion house that James's parents took part in constructing. For the first time since this entire ride, I turned away from the glass of the window and actually looked at James.

He twisted the key to turn off the car's engine and then took off his tie. That move made me raise an eyebrow. Didn't he want to look all prim and proper? The guy was putting on a suit for the love of all things good!

A little feeling of uneasiness settled in my gut. The last time we'd been here was almost a year ago when his parents wanted to throw him a party for his birthday. And in turn, he wanted me to look so stunning that his parents would beg for us to get married. His words.

I mentally scoffed. His parents never even liked me so that plan flopped. Infact, his dad went the extra mile to ask me why I was trying too hard. The memory made my skin crawl. They'd never seen me as good enough for their son, even though my family owned the biggest gaming company in the state.

Talk about high standards.

A cold sweat broke out on my forehead when he began undoing his shirt buttons. One at a time. My eyes went wide as saucers and my jaw hit the ground.

"What do you think you're doing?" I half shrieked half panicked.

James turned to me with a grin on his lips, white teeth flashing. He stopped undoing the buttons at the second one and put his arm over the passenger seat where I was. In one absolutely terrifying moment, he swiped his thumb over my forehead and flicked away the sweat there.

"Why are you sweating?" he asked.

Son of a gun.

"The AC isn't getting to me," I quickly said. Before he could reply, I was already unlocking the door. "We should head in."

James pushed a button and the doors locked up again. "You're not still affected by me, are you?"

Slowly, I turned to face him, sucking in a sharp breath. The lie was bitter on my tongue so I spat it out. "of course not."

Something flashed in his eyes, but before I could identify it, he whipped out his cocky smirk and nodded. "Good. We can't let that ruin this arrangement, not after where it left us last time."

Tell me, why was I doing this again?

With the push of a button, the doors were unlocked again and I hurried out of the car. James got down after me, locking the vehicle and coming to my side.