3·4

Everything was back to normal

Everything was back to normal. Kinda.

By some wondrous miracle of existence, I still had my job at The Breakfast Cafe. Though I'd received a stern warning from Roy and some "fatherly advice" as he called it. He'd told me that life was like an ocean. And I'd zoned out immediately.

The cafe was back to normal as well. I wasn't sure how though. I'd been scarce around here for weeks die to everything skyrocketing in my life. All it took for me to return were some premium tears, many many brain freezes from ice cream, a meeting with the man that made my life a mess, and more tears. Classic.

But at least, one good thing had come out of this. Kong and Pat were hanging out together more now and she didn't hate me anymore. I wanted to believe it had something to do with the fact that her father was the real reason behind her brother's and my-infact, everyone's misery. Though I wasn't sure she knew yet because Kong hadn't talked to me about the fact that I didn't actually cheat. I was kinda expecting the worst here considering I lied to him for half a year and he kept being loyal.

Thinking about it caused goosebumps to form on my arms. So I stopped thinking and rubbed my forearms to get rid of them.

I slapped on a smile and whipped out the pen from my back pocket. "Welcome to The Breakfast Cafe. What can I get you?"

The customer lifted her head and my eyes widened. "Pat!"

Pat's eyes darted sideways before coming back to mine. She bent forward and pressed her index finger to her lips, signalling me to keep it down. Maybe she wanted to surprise Kong. Where was he anyway?

"Do you want to get something?" I asked, lowering my voice as she'd told me to. "Should I get Kong? I'm not sure where he is but I think he's hiding in the worker's locker room again. Probably eating a cupcake he stole from Annie's latest batch." I rolled my eyes and laughed.

Pat smiled fondly. "Typical," she shrugged. "But I'm not here for him. I came to see you."

I held my breath and but my lip. This was about James, I was so sure I could almost feel it. "If this is about James then, you'd have to know that it's very very complicated currently. I mean, after everything... We're almost too broken to fix." The words were so rushed that I had to inhale deeply after I was done.

Pat pursed her lips. "It's not just James, Avery. It's Kong I want to talk about." She narrowed her gaze at me Ina way that told me that she knew. James had probably told her. "You haven't told him anything yet, have you?" Oh.

Oh.

"No. Have you?"

She shook her head and sighed, taking off her baseball cap and revealing one of the most shocking wonders of the world. Her hair. It was tangled up and messy.

Pat must have noticed my shock because she chuckled and pointed to her head in a circular motion. "Bad hair day." She ran a hand through it to untangle some of the knots. Okay, so the perfect Patricia Grant was just Patricia Grant now. Cool.