2·2

James and his father were gone, leaving just me and his mum standing there and trying to engage in small talk

James and his father were gone, leaving just me and his mum standing there and trying to engage in small talk. She was obviously trying to pry out information from me about James and I but considering I'd done this before, she failed. And by the end of the day, she said she only wanted what was best for her son.

Funny how her words reminded me of someone, four months ago. The real reason why I broke up with James.

After what seemed like decades, James finally materialized on stage with his father by his side, both wearing bright smiles. Mr Grant gave a small speech, patting his son on the back and then raising a toast to the future of their company.

All the while, my gaze lingered on James. Even though he was smiling, I could tell something was up and for some reason, it bothered me too much. Pat, on the other hand stood at one end of the room, far away from me, shooting swords and daggers into my side.

By the time everyone had taken a sip of their wine and Mr. Grant began addressing his guests, James excused himself and left the stage. Both Pat and I watched as he marched towards me and came to an abrupt halt in front of me.

"We need to leave," he said in a dangerously low tone that sent shivers down my spine. I knew something happened.

James's mother, who'd been talking to some of her friends, noticed him and started calling out, "James, there's someone you have to meet." From the corner of my eye, I could see Pat eyeing the both of us with suspicion. Most especially, she was eyeing me.

James gave me a look and that was all he needed to do. I nodded and looped my arm with his, allowing him to lead me out of the room and towards his car outside. His mother kept calling out to him while he ignored her completely. I bit my lip as I struggled to keep up with his pace. What had happened? Did his dad say something?

He probably did.

Once we were both in the car, James started the engine and zoomed off without saying goodbye to either of his parents.

I bit my tongue and held my hands together as he drove, not wanting to infuriate him any further. James wasn't really good at managing his anger, he always had a way of letting everything out. Most times, with his words. And even though I wasn't really happy with this fake girlfriend plan, I didn't want to be on the receiving end of that. I just needed to thread carefully.

"Did something happen?" I asked softly.

"Nothing happened," replied James, his gaze fixed on the road. His face was already going red and his breaths were uneven. I also noticed that he was increasing speed.

I relaxed into my seat, shrugging. "Okay then."

And 3, 2, 1...

"Dad already had someone ready for me to court," James blurted out.

I wanted to smile at myself for knowing him so well but-hold the hell up. "What?"

James let out a humorless laughter, taking one hand off the steering wheel to comb through his curly hair, sending the strands over his eyes to the back. "How dare he!" he spat, jamming a fist into the middle of the steering and causing a loud honk to ring in our surroundings.

I covered both my ears and tried to catch my breath. "Calm down James."

That statement made him turn to me with rage burning in his eyes. This was why he worked to keep his anger under control. It was because he couldn't.

"Don't fucking tell me to calm down. This is all your fault!" The car was speeding down the road by now, but I couldn't care any less at this point.

"My fault? I'm trying to help you!"

"So what? You want some applause and a fucking kiss for everything you've done? If not for you, my dad wouldn't even get this opening. If not for your stupid cheating ass, we wouldn't even be here. You're the real reason why all this is happening," he spat, slapping the steering wheel again.

I leaned back, away from him, breath heaving like I'd just run a marathon, and I just stared. "I thought you were over it."

James glared at me for a few more seconds before reverting his glare to the road, slowing the car down.

"I'm over it. But that doesn't mean your choices don't still affect my life till today. Can't you see how much you wrecked everything?"

I could see. Clearly. But I wasn't going to ponder on that in this moment and risk breaking into tears in front of James. So I leaned into my seat and turned to face the window.

"Well I'm here now. This should put whatever your dad has planned on hold. For now at least."

"And if it doesn't? We both know fake things don't last."

I turned to face him but he broke our stare off to face the road.

"Then you should get ready to get married."

Monday morning rolled in quicker than I'd wished for

The after effects of the Grant's party were still fresh in my body and mind. I wasn't sure if James had moved on or not but his life sure was moving quickly. With or without him. He on the other hand was still messing with the past. Me.

Kong dropped his breakfast on the table, bringing me out of my thoughts and then settled into the seat opposite mine.

"So did the two of you kiss?" he asked, biting into his burger.

I rolled my eyes, pushing away the urge to flick his forehead. "No," I deadpanned. "We didn't. Did you even listen to the story."

He nodded. "Yeah. James was this close to getting married and you saved his sorry ass. He should be thanking you and not blaming the entire thing on you like he always does." He took another bite.

I exhaled, taking the last of my chips and popping them into my mouth with a crunch. What I would do for a coffee right now.

Sadly, the cafeteria at school was out of coffee. That's what happens when a lecturer calls for a "makeup class" by seven thirty in the morning just because he wouldn't be available for his scheduled period during the week.

"At least your weekend was better than mine," I said, sighing.

Kong gave me an incredulous look, his jaw on the table. "Are you kidding? I had to work overtime to cover for you."

I winced. "Sorry about that."

"Yeah, and Tasha wants your he-oh no." Kong's eyes went wide as he stared at something behind me. Then in a split second, his surprise was replaced with fury. His lips curved down and he dropped his half eaten burger back onto his tray, muttering, "idiot."

"Asia!"

Fuuuucckk.