11. tough girl is what I had to be

Zoe observed from behind as Daniel's hand fell on the cold handle of the door, leading to Alessandra's room. He took a deep breath and closed his eyes to calm his racing heart. Tears forming under his eyelids were burning him, but he forced them back. He has done this so many times, knowing Alessandra always will be on the other side. Now, she was no more and he couldn't help it. The time has come when he had to let go in order to continue with his life. He had to forgive himself by visiting this room for the last time and closing this chapter definitely. His heart skipped a beat when he pushed the handle, hinges letting out long disturbing squeak. Daniel pushed the door wide open, revealing Alessandra's room to his eyes. He smiled to himself, notcing that so far it remained untouched by people from the North. "It looks like one of king's chambers, not a room for a mobster". Zoe gasped, following Daniel to the threshold. Her eyes couldn't get enough of gold-plated chandelier and gold ornaments on the furnitures. "As an only woman in the crew, Alessandra was pretty privileged. She could afford a lot". He explained once he stepped inside. He stopped in the middle of the room, his shoes brushing over expensive carpet, while turning slowly around in his spot. "Even Mr. Webber couldn't resist her?". Zoe asked humourously, leaning against the doorway. "No". He chuckled, ending his little trip in front of Alessandra's bed. Dark pillows and throw were a bit dusted, a sign that nobody slept in it for a long time. "My sister was too precious for Mark. He was weak without her. She did everything he asked for in order to survive, but that came with a price. I told her once that if Mark doesn't plan letting her go any time soon, she should at least demand some level of comfort for herself". He added, his gazed fixiated on the bed. "It didn't solve her problems, but she deserved a room worthy of her". Zoe nodded. "You were right. And she was lucky to have you and Nico. You were always ready to stand up for her, no matter the circumstances". Daniel's mouth twitched in bitter smile as if some memory flashed through his mind, considering he and Nico often felt obligated to protect Alessandra. God knows what happened in this room...

"How do you feel?". She asked softly. Daniel didn't answer at first, instead he approached big wooden wardrobe on the opposite side of his sister's bedroom, cracking open two-sided door. His eyes were met with Alessandra's clothes that were left behind. Most of them were black dresses she wore around the mansion, on briefings and during visitations from other crews. Dozen or so pairs of high heels were gathered at the bottom, waiting for their owner to put them on again. The scent of Alessandra's perfume was still present in here, leftovers lingering her clothes. "I feel like I'm ready to go". He replied after staring blankly into the dark void and to prove that he closed the door of the wardrobe with a thud. "Shall we go find Nico then?". She proposed as if she wanted to make sure Daniel wanted to leave. They both knew well there will be no coming back here. "He should be downstairs". He confirmed, walking away from the wardrobe in Zoe's direction. She looked deeply into his eyes once he was close enough and his honey hues resolved her doubts. He was truly ready to leave this part of his life behind. "Let's go". Zoe's voice was silent when she spoke. She walked back to the dark corridor and waited for Daniel who stayed behind to close the door. Once in the doorway, he looked around the room one last time, having in mind that it will soon be erased from existence. No one from the North knew a true value of this place. "Goodbye, little sister". He whispered more to himself and the door fell close behind him.

Zoe wasn't shocked when she saw that Nico cleaned Mr. Webber's office to the point where no one could notice at first that someone has been here, looking for something. The three of them agreed it was a right time to leave this place. Daniel asked Nico if he wanted to go somewhere in the mansion, but he shook his head. Daniel seemed to be lighter and better looking, and Nico was visibly glad for such state. He hoped that this time they'll leave this place for good, but in a proper way. They came back outside through the basement, though coming out of it was a bit tougher than jumping inside. After they managed to get out from the mansion in one piece, the three quickly ran up to the car. As Daniel and Zoe were setting at the backseat, Nico started the engine and pushed the gas pedal to the maximum, not really caring about the seatbelt. The tyres shrieked when the vehicle broke free like a wild animal, pushing the passengers into their seats. "I think we should find some hotel and don't leave till our flight home". Daniel spoke up once the East's manison disappeared from his field of vision. He looked through his window at the orange sky above his heads, while the sun was slowly setting behind the horizon. An hour or so it will be dark and he wished not to show himself anywhere at that time. Mobsters and crews liked the night. It gave them a sense of anonymity which helped them survive. That's why they needed a place to hide during the day. In the morning, all the demons will go to sleep and they'll be able to leave New York City peacefully. "It's a good idea, but it should be as far as possible from here". Nico replied as if he could read Daniel's mind. At some point he could due to the same training received within the crew. "It might take awhile". He added and Daniel nodded. "Don't rush. I think it's best to leave the neighbourhood as well". Daniel agreed, his gaze falling to Zoe sitting next to him. Her blue eyes were fixiated on the images behind the window, she tried to draw from them as much as she could, before leaving for New Orleans. It was the first time when Daniel realised how this journey sucked. She was being dragged around one of the biggest cities in the world and not able to see anything on her own. Such opportunity could never happen again, at least not with him and he wished to show her so many marvelous places. Nevertheless, Zoe had to leave the city empty headed, whether he liked it or not.