9. where worlds collide and days are dark

The world went dark when Egle arrived at the harbor. The only lights she saw were the white ones from the skycrapers in the city along with little red one, blinking for the planes to avoid it. She crossed her legs under the steering wheel of her car and waited in silence. Nice breeze was coming inside through a rolled down window, brushing her face in tender way. A couple minutes passed till one of her legs started to bounce in act of impatience. It was the last place Egle wanted to be in right now, knowing that in the same time Nico, Daniel and Zoe were having fun before leaving to New York City. And the fact that she wasn't invited pissed her off even more. Since Zoe showed up in their lifes nothing was the same. Egle was still Nico's lovely, forgiving girlfriend, but Zoe's presence caused her to be pushed away from the group. She wanted to join them more than anything, nevertheless her life was subordinated to his calls. As much as she felt being drawn to those people, she needed to think about her family in Lithuania first. Her parents were optimistic and wanted their daughter to enjoy life outside Europe. For Egle it was hard to be happy here, while on the other side of the ocean they were starving. The only way to keep them alive was her other job that was making it possible. How different her life would be now if she didn't meet Nico? A couple of months ago she got an invitation to a party in her friend's house outside the city. She was about to refuse, because she dreamed about having some free time after though week filled with sawing, tones of papers and mean customers. Nevertheless, her friend Madison was quite stubborn, so Egle found herself all dressed up in front of her house on Friday night. Madison walked her through the living room, telling her about some new guy in town she wanted her to meet. Egle wasn't as enthusiastic as her friend. She wasn't looking for a relationship as she felt good on her own. And what's more important she felt free.

Nico had everything every woman dreamed of. He was handsome, well-built, had beautiful blue eyes. He was also an embodiment of a true gentlemen, intelligent and kind. Egle couldn't deny that she was attracted to him. When he spread more of his charm around her, she let him take her out one day. They spent time in nice Italian restaurant with Nico trying hard to impress her. She, on the other hand, didn't try at all. There was nothing wrong with him or her. Egle was just above it all. She liked to spent time with him, but she didn't see anything happening between them apart from friendship. Nico hoped for more. She noticed that on the very same evening. She wanted to sit and talk with him about it, but then the man called Romain Grosjean showed up in her shop. Since this day nothing was the same anymore. She became an actress with a gun held against her head. From confident woman she turned into Romain's obedient minion who played with Nico's feelings in every moment they were together. She kept telling him she loves him, though it was a lie, which suppose to invite her to his life. Mr. Grosjean was prepared, he already knew everything about her. He knew where she came from and where her parents live. He knew the city, the street, the numbers. He made sure Egle will cooperate without second thoughts.

Egle noticed the light of another car coming to the harbor in the wing mirror. The black Mercedes pulled over next to her vehicle. The black window on passenger's side rolled down, revealing Romain comfortably sitting in the leather seat. "Good evening, Egle". The Frenchman greeted her with a smile on his face. His scar twitched a bit, but she tried to not stare at it. "What do you have for me?". He added next, coming straight to the business. "They flying to New York City tomorrow. All three. I tried to get some information from Nico, but I didn't succeed. He was really careful around me, so it must be important". Romain sighed. "Stop acting like you were dumb. Of course it's important! You think Nico and Daniel would be coming back into the lion's den for fun?". Annoyance was clearly hearable in his voice and Egle leaned more in her seat. "Then what do you want me to do? Follow them? They won't take me with them. I tried to persuade him". She defended herself. "I want you to think for fuck's sake!". Romain yelled, smashing his hand against the dashboard. "Do I really have to tell you what to do every single day? If you can't come with them, then wait. Once they find the key, they will give it to Zoe. They trust her enough. Search her things, but don't take anything with you. I want to see what she'll do next". Egle didn't replied anything, but her muteness was enough for an answer. "I understand now why there wasn't any single woman in the crew". Romain's driver, that creepy Finn, chuckled at his words. Egle swallowed hard. She knew she has to give him something, so he could leave her for today. Even some hot gossip could please him for awhile. "They slept together. Daniel and Zoe". She said, before she could think more. When she understood what she did, she gnawed on the bottom lip. "You sure?". "Yes. Nico was joking about it all day. It was hard not to know about it". The Frenchman giggled, which was kind of surprising for him. His scar was twitching again. "Good. Fantastic! The more Danny gets attached, the more he will be hurt in the end". He said, more to himself than to her. "Can I leave now?". Egle asked shyly and Romain gave her a chocker look. "Just go away". He waved his hand, rolling the window up. The Finn backed Mercedes from the harbor, leaving Egle all alone in the dark again. She grabbed the steering wheel hard till her knuckled went white. She wanted to sit in her car and cry, but she knew that once she'll break, she won't stop. She needed to be though to win her freedom back.