2. i've been praying ever since new york

The next day in the afternoon, Zoe sat by the lake and enjoyed the fading warmth of the sun, while her thoughts were spinning around Daniel. She was looking forward to spend some more time with him, but in a more peaceful enviroment. Yesterday, when Nico came to her after the show, she thought that this whole story about brother who has a birthday and his alleged affection towards her was a joke. Zoe suspected that her fellow dancers wanted to embarrass her, so they payed someone in order to make fun out of her. That's the way she was or at least she was brought up to be like this. The only reason why she agreed to come to the party was that she didn't want to go home yet. Zoe felt great after her performance and the vision of coming back home to her grandmother was making her sick. She knew she'll lose all this positivity when she'll cross the threshold of her house. Their relationship was complicated since Zoe could remember. Both of them had strong personalities, so settlement was never an option. Nevertheless, there were only two things which Zoe hated the most in her life. First was the way they lived. Away from people, the city and everything which associated with life itself, Zoe often had a feeling that her grandmother wants to either hide her or separate her from the world. The second thing was the subject of her parents. The case which Zoe wasn't able to solve herself, because her grandmother had the informations she needed. All she knew is that they're both dead and aren't coming back. It wasn't enough for Zoe, but every time she asked for more her grandmother would pick up a fight.

The moment she saw Daniel at the party, she felt calm as never before. When their eyes met and their hands touched for the first time, electricity run down her spine and butterflies fluttered in her stomach. Something in those dark eyes kept telling her he's no ordinary guy, but she wasn't afraid. She was intrigued, curious, fascinated. That's why her heart skipped a beat, when she heard rustling of the grass behind her. Zoe knew it was him, her body immediately covered with goosebumps. Seconds later Daniel already stood before her and she couldn't help it. A wide smile appeared on her face, while she observed his tall figure from the ground. The sunlight created a golden halo around his black curls, which for a moment made him look like an angel. "Hi, gorgeous". He greeted her. Zoe covered her cheeks, afraid she'll turn red at what he said. Daniel seemed quite different compared to yesterday evening. He was more relaxed and comfortable. He replaced his expensive tuxedo with black hoodie and a pair of jeans. She wondered if that's how Daniel looked on daily basis, because she liked it more than the elegant outfit he wore at the party. "Welcome, stranger. Did you talked with wolves along the way?". He sat next to her, their arms slightly touching. "You were right. They aren't really social butterflies". He replied, while looking around the area. "Have you ever been here?" Zoe asked and he shook his head. "No, never. But it's a lovely place. How long have you been living here?". "Since I was born. My parents lived on the other side of the lake, but the hurricane destroyed everything back in the day. The area there is no longer habitable. What once was a charming neighbourhood turned into swamp".

Daniel looked on the other side of the lake, but he could see anything. "Did they...". He wondered if he should finish this sentence. He didn't want to scare her or be intrusive. "They died. But not because of the hurricane. It happened long before, I don't know where or when exactly. My grandmother makes a big secret of it". Daniel was shocked how she was saying those things with ease. The ease he didn't expect to hear. "I know, it's depressing. I've completly ruined the mood. I'm sorry". Zoe lowered her head. She was embarrased. She shouldn't talk that much about her. Unexpectedly, Daniel reached for her hand and squeezed it lightly. "Don't apologize for things beyond your control". Zoe looked him in the eyes as her heart started to beating faster. It was hard to explain what this man was doing to her, but she wanted to feel that way until her dying breath. "Did you really enjoyed my performance yesterday?". She asked suddenly. Her voice woke him up from drowning in those heavenly blue eyes. "Of course I did. I'm not easy to please, but what I saw yesterday was a pure perfection. Like you". Zoe shook her head in disbelief. "Stop doing that". Daniel frowned for a moment. Zoe was shy in his presence, but it couldn't stop him from praising her. "Doing what?". He asked innocently. "You know what. You're a real Prince Charming, aren't you? You spread this personal charm around like confetti. Girls must be falling in love with you quite often". Daniel shrugged. "What can I say? I'm not going to apologize for being handsome. It's beyond my control". Zoe wanted to laugh at his joke, but she kept serious expression on her face. The sooner she'll make him aware of what he's getting into, the better for him. "I'm serious, Daniel. I'm not good enough". Her statement for him was like punch in the guts. He looked at her with tenderness as she continued. "There are rumors about me, my family and this place. The kind of rumors you wouldn't like. Don't get me wrong. I like you, Daniel. It sounds weird, because we didn't spend much time together, but I really do. And that's why I want to protect you. People will start whispering like they did already at your party. Your social life, life in general, will turn into nightmare. They will call you out for just spending time with me". Zoe was surprised that she was able to say all this without bursting into tears. Daniel kept looking at her, expression on his face didn't change. He thought how open Zoe was towards him, how caring although they knew each other less than twenty four hours. It amazed and terrify him at the same time. "Social life is already a nightmare. I don't care what others will think of me and you. All I know is that I want to take you out and show how proud I am to be so close to you. And there's no world and no reality where you, Zoe Taylor, are not good enough".