12. you were never on my side

"What are we going to do about this?". Zoe asked, while picking up the jewelry box from the bed. After the three shared a breakfast early in the morning, she and Daniel now were packing their stuff back to suitcases as Nico was doing the same in his room. The atmosphere between her and Nico was a bit tensed after last night. Nico tried to pretend like nothing ever happened, so Zoe had no choice but to follow him in that. Daniel looked her way and Zoe felt the key shoving inside. Her hand trembled slightly as it became somehow heavier within seconds. "I think you should keep it for now. After all, it was your family's property for ages". He simply replied, throwing last pieces of his wardrobe inside black suitcase and zipping it up. "I don't think that's a good idea". She protested, enveloping herself with her own arms. Daniel looked at her softly and approached her, resting his hands reassuringly on her shoulders. "You're the rightful owner of this key. I have faith that it'll be safe from Romain in your hands". Zoe swallowed hard as her heart sank in her chest. The previous plan involved them finding the key in East's mansion and negotiating with Romain, but after Daniel and Nico did some more thinking they agreed it would br too selfish to buy themselves freedom when hundreds could get hurt. Romain knew the boys will make the right decision. He also knew that in the end the key will be given to her and the burden of deciding what to do with it will be on her. "You don't have to wear it on your neck or something like that if that's what you mean". He chuckled, seeing her worried eyes. "You can just hide it under your bed. Your home isn't an obvious place to look for it at first...". "Daniel". Zoe interrupted him, the air hitching in her throat violently. It got him concerned. "My grandmother kicked me out before we came here. I don't have a house or my own bed anymore". She confessed and Daniel's eyes grew wide. "What?". Was all he could say at this moment. "We had a fight. She wanted me to choose between you and her... Although my choice was kind of obvious from the beginning. Then she said that if I walk out of the door, I can never come back. She shrugged, memories of that concerned bringing pain nevertheless. "You don't need that house anymore, love". Daniel shook his head, while taking her face into his hands. "I am your home now". He whispered, his warm breath ghosting over her lips. One of his hands left her cheek and reached out for hers. Daniel brought it to his chest and placed it directly in the centre of it, right over his heart. As their eyes locked on each other, Zoe could feel strong and steady beating of his heart under her palm. "You can stay with me forever". Another whisper sent shivers down her spine. Daniel leaned down to put a kiss on her forehead and a soft hum escaped her lips. She knew she should confirm his words, promise that indeed she'll stay with him forever as he will pepper her body with kisses. But those words just couldn't get pass her lips. That'd be a lie and she didn't want to lie to him.

A knock on the door safed her. They pulled away from each other, Daniel with visible disappointment. He walked through the room to open the door for Nico who was ready to leave. Zoe nodded and she packed last of her things into the suitcase, before zipping it in one swift move. They headed downstairs with the help of elevator. Nico checked them out and asked for a bill in reception. Zoe could tell from his body language that he was a bit tensed, but he was making an effort to hide it. Maybe it wasn't just about her. Maybe it was the return to New York City and now coming back to New Orleans that stressed him. She definitely regreted their conversation last night. She was too emotional and it should have wait for more proper occasion. On the other hand, how much time she had left?

As the three of them made their way out of the car, the doors of the mansion opened for them, revealing Egle on the other side. She looked excited for their return and asked no questions about their secret trip to New York City. It's when Zoe realised she had no idea what Nico told Egle about New York and she wasn't even smart enough to ask. Nevertheless, she was sure he had to lie to her. Zoe had that prvilege of talking about mobster issues, at least most of them, with Daniel. Nico wanted to form a bond with Egle similar to theirs, intimate and close, but major part of his life was still kept hidden from beautiful Lithuanian. Egle seemed to feel their relationship isn't go any further as well. Zoe thought she's just patient towards her boyfriend. How little did she know back then.