3. it was a fourth of july

For two days Zoe was on cloud nine. Her hard work was beginning to pay off as the director of the theatre congratulated her himself after the performance and she could boldy assume that she met the man of her dreams. It wasn't exaggeration. Zoe met various types of men on her path, but in the end they all turned out to be the same. The boys from primary school who bullied her for her shining dresses and called her names, like a christmass tree. Then the boys from high school who brutally mocked her dreams as in their opinion she was too ugly for a dancer. And finally her fellow male dancers who, if they only could, would have tripped her foot on first occasion. That was her world, full of fighting to prove others wrong. Daniel was different. She could be herself, while spending time with him. She didn't have to prove anything to him or hold herself back if she wanted to say something. They both had a baggage of experiences, but somehow managed to trust each other and save their confessions for later. He admired her, complimented her, adored her so much that it was embarrassing her. Zoe never wanted any man to eulogize her as in a relationship both sides should be equal. When all those bad things were happening to her, when or those bad words were said towards her, she chose to believe that there is indeed some kind of balance in the universe and one day she'll be rewarded for her suffering. All that goodness and warmth she lacked were given to her in the form of handsome man with dark curls. Daniel completely turned her life upside down, but it made her feel alive. When he kissed her, every single cell in her body screamed with joy. The simple unexpected kiss left her in the state of pure euphoria. Her heart pounded in her chest long after Daniel left her room. She was out of breath, lost in his amber eyes.

She was high from just his touch, but after every high you have to eventually come down. On the third of July, Zoe woke up early in the morning. She checked her phone right after she opened her eyes, but there was nothing in her inbox. Not in such good mood anymore, Zoe spent her whole day at the theatre on training, helping with sewing costumes and making decorations for the performance which was scheduled for the first weekend after Independence Day. During her busy day, she checked her inbox several times, but got only disappointed again. What was she actually counting on? That he would go crazy about her overnight? She was so angry with herself for getting her hopes up instead of waiting patiently for things to unfold. If it came to Zoe Taylor, emotions often won over sober thinking. She wasn't worried that Daniel won't call her or text her the day after. She was afraid that he would forget. Or worst, he was already done with her. Being with him was too good to be true, like she was living in the big soap bubble. If Daniel was out of her life just after their first kiss, that bubble would blow up, destroying everything on its path. Her surroundings started to seem dull to her. Daniel had turned out to be her drug and had been out of her reach for too long.

The next day, on the Independence Day morning, a pleasant surprise awaited her. She took her phone into her hands and her eyes were met with the text from Daniel.

What are you doing today?

Zoe smiled over her phone, while gnawing on her lower lip. She took a moment to think, leaning on a headboard. She didn't want to seem too excited or too noninvolved. Zoe took a long moment, before she responded.

What do you have in mind?

Well, it's the Fourth of July. I was thinking about taking you out to a nice restaurant and after we could catch some fireworks from the balcony.

That sounds lovely. But I hope that place is not too fancy, huh?

Don't worry about it, princess. I just want to see you.

Zoe giggled, putting her phone into her chest. A blush heated up her cheeks.

Be ready at six. Can't wait.