Chapter 17

When kassie woke up it was dark, calm. Maybe it was just her ears deceiving her but wherever she was made no sound and for a moment she was peaceful. Kassie could be anywhere in the world, anywhere she wanted to be. She could be all the way in England, exploring the Lake District, climbing mountains and now relaxing in her tent, she could be in New Orleans, the city that her mother had spoken so highly about, partying all night and dancing all day, something she had always wanted to do in order to honour her mother.

But like most good things kassie had experienced, her peace was broken, shattered, as the events of the night before flooded her mind. Klaus, Damon, driving in the truck with Matt and Elena, Rebekah in the middle of the road, the trunk going in the river, Stefan saving Matt, darkness.

Kassie sat up straight in the bed she had been laid in. Breathing heavily, panicked by the thought she could possibly be dead, she felt the bile rise in her throat. However before she could throw up over whoever's sheets they were, somebody placed a bucket in front of her and a hand on her back. Kassie didn't have time to thank them or even find out who "them" was before she was puking her guts up, clammy hands gripping the sides of the bucket as the somebody rubbed her back comfortingly.

"It's alright darling" a soft voice said, a voice kassie knew all too well. "You're safe, you're okay"
"Kol?" She cried, wiping her mouth she turned around to face him, eyes streaming with tears. Kol had moved from his space beside her on the bed to a position directly behind her, now that kassie had turned she sat between his legs. "I'm sorry" she whispered, head dipping, refusing to meet his gaze "I shouldn't have...you were just saving your family...I...I...just like I was and-" she broke down sobbing as Kol cradled her to his chest.

"No. It's my fault love" he said softly, running a hand through her hair "I've seen your memories, I didn't think about what going after elena and Damon would do to you, I'm sorry"
"I'm sorry too" kassie mumbled. Kol leant back so he was laying on his back with kassie on his chest.
"I heard you and Rebekah in the forest the other day" he said into her hair "is it true what you said? That you think it would be better if you died?" Kassie stayed quiet, not completely sure how to answer that question.

Minutes passed as they both laid in silence, listening to the wind that blew through the trees. Kol started to think kassie was asleep so was shocked when she finally spoke up and answered his question.
"Sometimes" kol didn't speak, he waited for her to continue "people I love, who love me, the ones who stick around always end up dead" she took a breath "I just...sometimes I wonder if people would be safer if I wasn't around. In these situations other people tell you not to think about yourself but those you'd hurt but, I think would anyone even miss me?"

Kol was quiet once more, a few tears slipped down his face. Did his soulmate really think she didn't matter?
"Of course they'd miss you kassie"
"Would they though?" She asked quietly, voice cracking "they have another witch, Elena has Another younger siblings, Jeremy has another sister, klaus is dead, so is damon, Rebekah, you and Elijah will all leave soon" she let out a sound that sounded suspiciously like a smothered sob "what's the point of me being here?"  Kol sat up abruptly holding Kassie away from him.

"Don't you dare think like that" he demanded, hands holding her cheeks so that she was forced to look at him "Jeremy loves you, the whole scooby gang needs you to save them, Elijah adores you and you're the first real friend Rebekah has had" he paused to wipe a fallen tear from her cheek "kassie, before I met you, I was lost, you are the light in my life, my happiness, my world. If you.." his voice cracked "if you weren't here, it would break me, I need you"

Kassie buried her head in the crook of kol's neck, breathing in his scent and letting it calm her. "I need you to" she whispered.
"Please don't leave me kassie"
"As long as we both reside on this earth" she smiled into his shoulder and kol found himself copying the action "promise"
"Promise"