Chapter 9

Kassie breathed heavily as she ran out the door and onto the street outside

Kassie breathed heavily as she ran out the door and onto the street outside. As soon as Kassie stepped out a she felt the freezing cold air hit her bare shoulders. It was a gloomy night, rain was pouring soaking Kassie's beautiful dress as she walked aimlessly through the streets. Where could she go? Not the Salvatore's, they would surely sent her right back to elena. Not Alaric's, he had Meredith now plus he was mia right now. She could try Caroline, bonnie or Matt but would they help her?

After walking for a while kassie ended up in a small park near her house. She found the nearest bench and sat down. The rain started to become harder and there was, every now and again, a crash of lightning. All of her emotions got to much, the anger, sadness, joy, she had kept them in check for so long that she just needed to let go. So she screamed. Louder and more painful than ever before. It sent out a shockwave that destroyed the nearby plants. As Kassie slumped in her seat trying to catch her breath, there was a thump next to her on the bench.

Kassie slowly looked down only to find a small bird curled up under its own wing.
"No" Kassie muttered "no, no, no" she felt powerless to help. Sure if it was a human she could help, all she had ever wanted to be was a doctor and when she was younger she had learnt basic cpr but this was an animal. And a small one at that, it would be near impossible to do anything.
"Come on breath" she begged, her hands hovering above the bird.

That's when kassie heard the voice. The exact same one that had given her the spell to find Damon. It whispered in her ear.
"natura dat vitam novam" just like last time kassie looked around but saw no one there. "natura dat vitam novam" it said again.
"Look. Whoever or whatever you are" kassie yelled "show yourself" her voice faltered and a few tears ran downer face "please, show yourself"
"natura dat vitam novam" the wind whispered, kassie cried out in frustration but after a few seconds and against her better judgement, she placed both her hands above the small bird and muttered the spell.

As the words left her lips Kassie felt a small section of her life force leave her and flow through her fingertips. Then she waited and waited and waited but nothing happened.
"Come on" kassie shouted, a few more tears dropped and she reduced her voice to a whisper "come on, please, you need to work" for a while kassie just sat there staring through glassy eyes at the bird curled up on the bench next to her, her breathing was laboured and a few sobs left her mouth. In an attempt to calm herself she grabbed her chest and as a result caught the edge of her new necklace. Suddenly she new who to call.

"Kassie, I was just about to call" kol laughed "Klaus was just in the middle of teaching me. I wanted to make sure that you were okay, know after what happened"
"Kol" kassie sobbed "I...."
"Hey, kassie, what's wrong"
"I...c..can I stay at y..yours tonight" kassie took in a sharp breath "please"
"Y..yeah, of course you know you're always welcome" kassie heard kol move on the other side of phone "where are you I'll come get you"

"Okay" kassie replied "I'm..uh..in the town park. Please get here quick" her voice sounded so hopeless, desperate so much that kol feared she would disappear.
"I'm coming" kol said "Just hold on for a little while, okay" kol ended the call and immediately vamp sped to where kassie was. When he got there, kol stopped dead in his tracks as he felt his heart break. The normally happy, cheery girl he knew was gone and instead left behind was broken. His soulmate was sat on a wooden park bench, completely soaked head to toe, she was curled into herself.