1. Kennedy

"Kennedy is dead."

The voice said in her ear piece, quickly as if he were stating that he had just taken out the trash. She lowered her eye from her scope, relieved. He, whoever he was, had done the job. She did not have to be the one to do it. Not that she had a choice.

She folded her gear away with swift precision, leaving the rifle sitting in the window sill for last so that she could keep checking the scope. The shots had come from the opposite direction, but all surrounding buildings would soon be flooded with police.

A last check through the scope confirmed that perhaps the president would survive a couple more hours, but no longer. She hoped. Because she was the backup plan.

Down several flights of stairs, into the streets crowded with panic stricken civilians, she shed her look of confidence, easily blending in with the crowd, pushing closer and wondering after the retreating presidential parade.

.....

In the deep basement levels of a compound nobody knew existed, Magdalena Lierens stared blankly at the man in front of her.

"And did you leave your position as soon as you heard the shots?"

"Yes."

"And did you confirm the hit?"

"I watched from afar. He was critically injured."

"And you followed?"

"Yes, to confirm that the mission was complete."

"Very well," the man said, standing up. Even in her current state, Lena noticed the reflection the pale light made on his bald head and disliked him further. After considering her for a moment longer the man strode away and knocked on the door. It swung in and two heavily armed guards moved toward her at the man's nod.

Lena let herself go limp as she always did - it was the least she could do to inconvenience them when not directly under their control. Or whatever it was. Something, because she could barely even remember the events of the afternoon even though they had happened only hours earlier. It was like a dream.

"One more thing," the man said, stopping the two guards, "did you see him?"

"See who?"

"The Winter Soldier."