22. Coffee & Kisses

For what felt like hours, Lena did what she did best and played director to hordes of people including the Latvian police, GRC personnel and eventually U.S. military that arrived on the scene in effort to mop up the mess that Walker had created. Finally, and to her immense relief, Lena caught a glimpse of Joaquín's figure across the now dimly lit building.

"Excuse me," she said to the GRC commander that stood before her. She waved at him dismissively and heard him swear as she walked away. But she'd had enough for one night. This wasn't her job anyway.

Joaquín spotted her almost as soon as she started toward him, his face lit up with relief.

"You're alright!" he said as he pulled her into a brief hug.

"Careful there bro, I've got so many bruises I can't even count 'em," Lena mumbled as she winced in pain.

"Sorry," Joaquín said apologetically, "But are you alright?"

Lena shrugged her shoulders, "Physically yeah. This is just a lot."

Joaquín's features softened and he seemed to look at her a little closer, "Let's get you someplace to sleep. It's not gonna be quiet 'cause God knows this place isn't clearing out anytime soon, but you need some rest pal."

"Joaquín-"

"Don't 'Joaquín' me in that voice Lena," he said as he gently steered her out of the room, "You'll feel better with some sleep."

Lena sighed in annoyance, her thoughts flickering to Bucky and another pang of anxiety twisted in her stomach.

"Where's Bucky? And Sam?" she asked, trying to keep the worry from seeping into her voice.

Joaquín shrugged nonchalantly and Lena had to restrain herself from snapping at him before he continued.

"Sam said they had somewhere to crash for the night. He sent me looking for you. Well, actually," Joaquín rolled his eyes, "Bucky sent me looking for you because Sam wouldn't let him come back here with all this police activity."

Lena huffed a sigh of relief but wished she was back in Zemo's 'safehouse' with them before she accepted the blanket Joaquín handed her, "Let me know when they get here in the morning, yeah?"

Joaquín nodded, "Yeah. Now sleep."

Lena nodded, took off her boots and drew the thin blanket over her.

-

When Lena awoke, it was to the sound of Sam and Bucky bickering loudly several rooms away, their voices echoing through the now empty refugee camp. Lena stared at the ceiling and listened, wishing that everything from last night had been nothing but a ridiculous nightmare. After a moment she sat up and her feet hit the floor with a gritty crunch.

Eventually Sam and Bucky's voices faded and footsteps echoed through the compound, the gait now so familiar that it filled Lena with a sense of relief just to hear it. When Bucky appeared in the doorway of the shabby room holding a steaming cup of coffee, just the sight of him made her feel more awake.

"Brought you some coffee," he said, a soft smile on his face.

"Thanks," Lena smiled as she accepted the paper cup and inhaled deeply. She took a sip and had to keep herself from cringing at the bitter flavor.

"It's nothing like your little coffee shop at home, but it'll do," he said as he sat on the cot next to her, leaning back against the wall.

Lena's smile widened at the memory and she desperately wished she was there right now. But I'll take this too, she thought as she felt Bucky's shoulder gently lean against hers.

"Thank you Bucky."

"'Welcome," Bucky said, his gaze focused on something further in the room. He huffed a sigh after a moment and let his head fall almost onto her shoulder. He looked as exhausted as she felt.

"I'm sorry you got dragged into all this," he said softly.

"Yeah me too. But," Lena hesitated, "at least it's with you."

He turned to look up at her, abruptly so close to her that she giggled at the tickle of his breath across her face.

"What?" he chuckled, casually taking a sip of his coffee. He made a face at the flavor which only caused Lena to laugh more.

"Do you do this to me on purpose?" she asked, unmoving.

"Do what?" he asked, feigning innocence even as a hand came up to smooth a lock of hair out of her face.

"Make me feel like I might be falling in love with you?" she whispered, phrasing it as a question.

The grin on Bucky's face split into a full smile, the light reaching his eyes in a way that made her feel a little breathless, "I mean, I could ask you the same question."

He closed the distance between them, briefly pressing his lips to hers, "Come on, we have to get going."

Lena reached up and grabbed his collar to prevent him from getting up, "Why? Where do we have to be? Karli is gone, at least for now."

Bucky kissed her again, his lips soft and careful but with an open-mouthed and barely disguised hunger, a tension like he was holding himself back - probably the same one that she felt - the one that wished nothing else existed except for the two of them. Far too soon he pulled away and stood up.

"Lena," he said, his voice solemn and filled with something Lena thought was probably regret, "I have to go find Zemo. And see the rest of this mess through."

Lena set her cup of coffee down and reached over the cot for her boots. She laced them up in silence and didn't look up.

"I know," she whispered finally.

Bucky knelt down in front of her, "You don't have to come."

Lena turned her attention from her boots and met Bucky's eyes, "I know. But I want to."

Even as she said it, she knew that wasn't true. She did not want to chase Zemo around the continent. She did not want to continue to involve herself with this whole thing. Maybe it was selfish, but she had no interest in being involved with superhero things, much less in becoming one.