24. Friday

~A Couple Months Later~

Lena was in a bar hidden in the recesses of the Berlin streets. It was far from anything interesting, but close enough to the city center that it was brimming with people on a Saturday night so that no one paid Lena any attention: exactly what she wanted. Sam was late, which was unusual, but Lena chalked it up to having to carry out "Captain America duties."

But Bucky was early and she couldn't have been more thrilled. From the moment he stepped across the threshold of the dingy little bar her whole body tuned in to his presence. It had taken him a minute to find her in the bar's low light but she had savored those moments, watching his eyes scan the crowd until they landed on her where she sat perched on a barstool.

His face lit up in a smile that she liked to imagine was only for her. His familiar figure shouldered through the crowd, his frame always slightly tilting to the left on account of his metal arm. Everything in her being wanted to leap from her seat and run at him, to throw her arms around him and let him pick her up into a bone-crushing hug. But people knew her here now; she couldn't act like a teenager meeting up with her long-distance boyfriend. After just a few more seconds the wait was over and he was right there for her to throw her arms around. So she did.

"Darling, I don't think I've ever missed anyone as much as I've missed you this past couple months," he said into her hair.

Arms still wrapped around him, Lena leaned away just far enough so that she could look into his eyes, "I think that's the sweetest thing anyone has ever said to me."

Bucky grinned and smoothed her hair behind her ears with both hands before pressing a light kiss on her lips, "let me buy you a drink and then tell me about everything you've been doing in this beautiful city."

Lena pecked him on the lips once more before pulling away, "It is a beautiful city isn't it?"

"Not as beautiful as you," he said, the blue of his eyes bright even in the dim light.

Lena shook her head laughing, "You're smooth Sergeant Barnes, I'll give you that."

"Whatever you say, Miss Lierens," he laughed as he went to order their drinks.

Lena watched him go, unable to tear her gaze away from him. Her favorite bartender was working tonight and she could feel the woman staring, trying to catch her eye. Finally Lena met her gaze, and the woman wriggled her eyebrows suggestively. Lena rolled her eyes but couldn't keep the grin off her face.

He returned with a drink and shot her a grin, "gin and tonic, just like you like it."

"Thanks," she said, smiling with near disbelief that after months of not seeing him they fell back into their old routines so easily.

He leaned on the bar next to her, arm touching hers.

"What do you think is taking Sam so long?"

"Signing autographs?" Lena joked.

Bucky snorted, "You might be right."

"I'm sure it's something much more official and patriotic."

"You're just glad he's late and I'm early" he laughed, elbowing her.

She turned to him, his proximity suddenly emitting something electric.

"Maybe that too," she said, the words coming out breathy.

Bucky leaned a little closer to whisper in her ear, his nose grazing her cheek. She shivered.

"I was hoping so," he said, his breath warm on her face.