18. Wild Ones

a/n: this is the sort of chapter note where the fic author tells you the most tragic thing that's ever happened to them and that's why they haven't updated for a year. and yeah, that's what this note is so i'm not exactly going to apologize OR go into detail but basically this story got put on the back burner for a year. here's the only two things you need to know:

1. everything before this point has been edited and slight changes have been made for continuity purposes. you probably don't need to reread it (unless you want to lol)

2. this fic is fully plotted out now so updates should be somewhat more regular

thanks for reading this stupid long author's note
xx

---

It did not take long for their previously calm audience with Selby descended into chaos, depositing them into the street running for their lives.

"Why am I always getting shot at on this godforsaken island?" Lena yelled.

"I don't know, doll. That seems like a you problem," Bucky teased.

"You're getting shot at too!"

Saved by the unexpected figure of Sharon Carter, they soon found themselves in her residence, painfully expensive art displayed around the rooms.

"Is this why you knew that all of the art in the MET was fake?" Lena asked, nudging Bucky quietly as they wandered the room.

"Yes, it's all in places like this," he whispered back.

"What are you two whispering about?" Sam asked as he marveled, "Did you know this sort of stuff was all fakes in museums?"

Lena and Bucky nodded in unison without looking at each other. Now out of immediate danger and having demonstrated they were both fully in control of themselves and their murderous alter egos, the tension had dissipated - even Zemo seemed to notice.

"You guys good now? A good fight? Show of power? That fix your problems?" Zemo chuckled and continued to Sharon, his accent not quite masking the humor in his voice, "I am thinking there's a story behind their problems they're not sharing."

Sam did not seem to hear but Lena stared daggers at Zemo. Even without looking Lena could sense Bucky had the same look on his face.

"See," he continued in a whisper to Sharon, "They're glaring at us."

Sharon just shook her head, obviously content to not involve herself, "You all just need to lay low for a while. I'll get you a meeting with who you need to see."

---

Laying low for a while apparently meant attending a party. Maybe "Party" is a strong word , Lena thought, maybe more of an intense conglomeration of intoxicated business deals.

Zemo was having an uncharacteristically good time, dancing to the music in a way that forced Lena to turn her gaze away in second-hand embarrassment.

"I guess we can probably trust him not to go anywhere," Lena said to Bucky as they both leaned on the bar trying to look inconspicuous.

"Probably. He has just as much to gain by finding the creator of the serum. Rather, he'll want to kill them just as much as we need the info," Bucky said, eyes scanning the crowd.