16. Nightmare Proposals

Song: Met Him Last Night by Demi Lovato

**********

The moon hung peacefully in the onyx sky with stars twinkling innocently. The view of the sky from the safehouse was beautiful. I was on the highest floor, gazing out the window, my arms on the windowsill with my head resting on them.

"It's beautiful, right?" a voice said behind me.

Angelo emerged next to me, placing his left hand on the side of the window. "As humans, we take simple things like this for granted. Mortal skies are far superior to Nether Realm skies," he said.

I stared at him quietly. After he showed me Daemon's coronation, I thought it was pointless to show me because I was looking for a solution to our current problem; Danny's heart.

"I'm not interested in small talk, Angelo," I said tonelessly. "Talk to me if you have a plan to save Danny or stop this demonic game." I finished, without looking at him.

From my peripheral vision, I saw his head bow low. "I understand that you still don't trust me, and that's okay. I'm willing to be patient."

I didn't answer his statement. Instead, I continued admiring the silent night sky.

"The Elders sound like bitches." I commented.

"You're right about that." Angelo let out a small laugh.

"Like why couldn't they rule the Nether Realm themselves?" I pondered. "I'm not justifying any of Daemon's actions because what he has done to me and my friends is still wrong...but why him?"

"To be honest," Angelo began, "I have no idea."

He gave me a nudge, his alluring hazel eyes looking at me tiredly. "The others are asleep, are you heading to bed soon?"

I shook my head. "It's been hard for me to sleep. Even if I do fall asleep, I don't stay asleep for long." I sighed. I wish I was normal, no amount of sleeping pills can give me the relief I envied others have from having a peaceful slumber. Angelo put his hands together and leaned out the window with me, inhaling the refreshing night air. His eyes were closed and the cool wind blew on his unruly blonde hair softly. He opened his eyes and they lit up with an idea.

"Do you want to bake chocolate chip cookies and dip them in milk?" he asked me. I let out a small laugh, he can be so random sometimes. I nodded. I wasn't sleeping anytime soon so I might as well eat something. We headed to the kitchen to see if we could find cookie dough and milk.

A few minutes later, the sweet enticing scent of chocolate chip cookies filled the kitchen. I sat on the table with a heavy weight on my head and shoulders. Angelo set two navy blue mugs in front of me and took out milk from the fridge. He poured milk into each of the mugs and asked if I wanted to warm my milk. I shook my head no.

"I figured you'd say that," he gave me a small smile. Once the cookies were ready, we began to munch on them in silence. The confectionery flavor of the cookie enveloped my mouth. It was soft, warm, and reminded me of better days.

I decided to break the silence. "Why did you really bail us out?"

Angelo stopped chewing when he heard my question. He swallowed before he spoke, "I feel guilty for what I have done."

I waited for him to continue his explanation but he decided not to continue.

"That's it?" I asked sarcastically.