19. Surrender

"I summoned you, please come to me

Don't bury thoughts that you really want

I fill you up, drink from my cup

Within me lies what you really want"

Middle of the night x Elley Duhé

"Tonight, show me how humans love..."

I craned my neck to look at the demon towering over me and noticed some small changes. The waves of his soft black hair were more prominent and streaks of gold shined through his locks. Both his ears were pierced, with diamonds twinkling in each lobe. He donned a white silk button-up with a couple of buttons undone to flaunt his muscular chest with the sleeves rolled up and black pants. His aura was also different. It was like an electric field surrounding him that had the hairs on my arms standing up. It was as if my body was warning me of the consequences of angering him.

"You're severely fucked in the head if I'll ever show you, love." I smiled as I walked past him. Before I could leave, Aurelio gripped my forearm tight that I knew it would leave a bruise. I yanked my forearm away from his grip but it proved impossible. My hair was stuck to the corner of my lips and I used my small hands to peel Aurelio's fingers off one by one. His eyes glowed and laughed at my attempt to get away.

"Take me back to the Mortal Realm," I demanded. To my surprise, the demon obliged.

"You might regret it, but as you wish," was all he said before he snapped his fingers.

I could never get used to the feeling of being transported in between realms. I felt as if I was on a rollercoaster anticipating the steep drop only for it to keep repeating over and over again. Once my feet sensed solid ground, I sighed in relief. A clean and crisp scent overwhelmed my senses. My arms were wrapped around Aurelio's waist with my head on his warm chest. I jumped away in surprise and fixed my posture. I didn't even realize I was holding on to him as if my life depended on it.

The hospital's familiar hallway and waiting lobby awaited me and I ran to Danny's room. Hope bloomed in my heart that what I did worked and that my friend was safe and alive. I ran faster until I reached his room and the fragile hope that grew in my heart wilted once I heard the soul-crushing sound of a flatline emanating from his room.

My shaking hands managed to slide the white door open. A knot formed in the back of my throat and my chest became heavy when the doctor declared his time of death. 12 am. Brittany, Ethan, and Angelo stood in the corner of the room as I rushed to Danny's side. I could hear Brittany stifling her sobs while listening to Ethan and Angelo's soothing words.

"No no no no no," I repeated and my voice cracked. "No!" I screamed, reaching for my friend's dead body. I felt hands pulling me back, grabbing me to their arms. I held my friend's lifeless body and cradled him as I sobbed, my tears dripping on his forehead and blaming myself for his death. I hated myself for being clueless and stupid. Most of all, I hated the useless gift bestowed on me as the Bridal Fruit. "I'm sorry Danny, it was all my fault. I was wrong, I shouldn't have done it!" I sobbed against the corner of my dead friend's bed. Gentle hands touched my shoulder, arms, and waist as the nurses took my friend's body away from me. I was on the floor, my knees touching the biting cold of the tiles.

"I knew you wouldn't believe me unless I showed you," a voice whispered in my head.

"What happened, Celeste?" Angelo asked softly making sure the nurses and doctor couldn't hear us. I followed Brittany and Angelo to the main hallway.