Chapter 21 Part II

A loud knock brought me out of my reverie. " Come in", I said. I was expecting Jake to be the one at the door but in entered Phillip with a spring in his step, looking very excited. A lot has changed since last year including my dynamics with Phillip. We may still not be best of friends but we did end up developing a deep sense of mutual respect for one another and I would say Phillip is someone I have come to value a great deal when it comes to the administration of the pack and also someone I can fall back on in times of crisis.

" Hey, Phillip, what got you so excited this early in the morning?", I asked, genuinely curious about his extra bright smile when the clock told me it was just seven in the morning.

" I just talked to Sam and he said that they will be reaching the pack in like two hours. I am finally going to meet my best friend after a year so I have all the reasons to be super excited. It's been too long", he ended the sentence with a sigh.

It has indeed been too long since the group of warriors had left the Blood Moon pack with the intention of helping other packs with training their warriors. All I have been hearing for the last eleven something months are praises for Sam and his pack of top warriors.

I have always known that Sam was a great warrior and top-notch leader to the warriors of our pack even before he officially took up the title of the head warrior but to hear other Alphas from diverse packs praising his skills and valour has just strengthened my belief in the leadership of our pack's security system and increased my respect towards Sam tenfold.

He was hundred per cent standing up to his title of the Head warrior of Blood Moon pack, currently ranking as the strongest werewolf pack in the world.

I won't lie and say that pride is the only sentiment I felt when I received those meritorious calls from Alphas of several different packs that Sam and his troop had visited, there was another feeling buried deep within those bouts of pride and surprisingly enough it was jealously.

Yes, it was the emotion called green-eyed envy that I experienced whenever I received one of those phone calls, from some random Alpha from a faraway pack, applauding and singing praises for Sam.

Those young Alphas just seemed to be completely infatuated with him, some even going as far as talking about wanting to steal him away from this pack, being given chance. On further thought, has Sam really being receiving offers to join other packs? To leave us and become their head warrior. As if that was even remotely possible, Sam would never turn his back on his birth pack, no matter what the incentive is.

He is not going anywhere. This simple thought makes me breathe so much easier. Those stupid Alphas think that they can steal him away from me, I me-ean the pack.

Me feeling envious of one of my pack-mates, my co-leader, someone who I have grown up with, did not sit well with me. I ended up pondering a great deal to make sense of me feeling this emotion and the only conclusion that I could come up with was that maybe I was just covetous of the fact that people seem to be more taken by the head warrior of my pack and not me, the Alpha who has successfully rid the world of a monster like Rico.

Maybe, my inner conscience was a petty bitch and wanted them to sing praises of me instead of Sam.

Yes, that has to be the reason for me feeling jealous of the Alphas lauding Sam. What else could even possibly be the rationale for that deep sinking feeling in my gut? Right? right, I was indeed just being a pathetic human being. That explains everything. Wow, this just made me feel a hundred times worse.

" Xav, once they return, they would all be gathering in the big hall downstairs,  so maybe you would want to come down and greet them once they are here?", Phillip asked looking at me with his bright shiny puppy dog eyes as if there was even a slight possibility of me saying no to what is considered as basic etiquettes for an Alpha of the pack.