Chapter 9

I burst into my dad's office only to find him sitting on his chair with his head resting on his folded arms on the desk and my mom standing beside him rubbing his back trying to soothe him and subdue his wolf at the same time.

I knew that the matter had to be extremely serious if my mother had to intervene and help my dad calm down. It's a rare occurrence and one that we all dread as it unusual for my dad to lose control of the situation and in turn himself.

My mother was no doubt the best Luna the pack has ever had. My father maybe the rock that supported the entire pack but my mom was the soothing rain that nurtured each and every one of the pack members. She was always ready to help anyone that came to her for assistance, she naturally had a calming aura around her which never failed to comfort those in need. Everyone in the pack loves her and cherishes her but my dad's love for my mom supersedes all boundaries and expectations.

For my dad, she was his everything. The roots that held him to the ground when things took a turn for the worse and he felt himself floating away. She was his anchor, his lullaby and everything he will ever need. His words, not mine.

As soon as I entered the room, they both looked up at me and their eyes held such an enormous ocean of pain in them that it just took my breath away. I had to make a conscious effort to not go and hurdle with my parents, to comfort them, try to take away the immense pain that they both seemed to be experiencing at the moment.

" What happened, dad?" I whispered as those few words were all that I could come up with at the moment. My throat clogged seeing the tears simmering down my mother's eyes as soon as she laid eyes on me.

" Xavy", my mother murmured in a broken voice and raised her hand prompting me to come to her and that was enough incentive for me to forget about everything and walk towards them desperate to wipe away the tears on my mom's face and the pain in my parent's heart.

After hugging each other for a few minutes, being just a soothing and calming presence to one another's heart, it seemed that my father was finally in a state to voice out whatever had upset him enough to tear back his calm persona and bring out the beast in him in front of mom, in front of his precious pack members.

He sat up straight prompting me and mom to take a seat before him. After we settled down, he started speaking, his voice still somewhat hoarse a testimony of the fact that his wolf was still very much present in the discussion and refuses to back down despite the efforts from dad and mom.

" Xav, I want you to listen very carefully to what I am going to tell you right now. Don't you dare lose control of your wolf and don't you dare let your panic take a forefront in your brain? I know it's a humungous thing I am expecting of you right now. Maybe it even makes me a worthless parent but so be it because if you don't rise up to the situation this time and let the memories of the past haunt you and that is what you will have to live with forever, these gut-wrenching memories and regret", he stressed each and every word as if trying to embed them in my very soul.

His voice was filled with utmost conviction urging me to understand the seriousness and desperation behind them.

Seeing me nod my head, my dad continued, " Son I know what I am asking of you is no child's play. It's not for the weak-hearted but Xavier Levy Ainsworth, I also know that you are going to be the greatest alpha this world has ever seen. I am not just saying this because you are my son but because I have borne witness to the dreadful things that you had to go through even as a little innocent boy and have also been fortunate enough to see you being a stubborn fighter even at the delicate age of 10 years, determined to survive and conquer your fears, overcome your worst nightmares,console your parents when we blamed ourself. You emerged as a warrior you are today, son. But what awes me even more is that you didn't lose your ability to love and be kind to people. Your heart is filled with so much love and compassion for your fellow beings that each time I witness it my chest fills with pride and my mind fills with a sole thought that my son is much more stronger than I will ever be and is very much on his way to become a great alpha to his people", my dad said those words, looking straight into my eyes, his sincerity reflecting clear in those blue orbs of his.