Look Back In Anger

Author's note: hi readers! I realise it's not Sunday (well it is in some parts of the world right now I suppose) but I couldn't really hold back. Not because I think this chapter is special or important, but because I just wanted to get it out of the way and update this as it has been a while. Thank you for reading, and enjoy...

———

'Never meet your heroes', they always say. I used to agree with them, quite firmly. There was a point where I didn't listen, I didn't care, I wanted to meet David Bowie, Iggy Pop and all the other people who shaped my life. When David passed away, I realised just how precious life is and that it shouldn't be wasted. In some ways I did begin to waste my time by wallowing in self pity and misery, all because I didn't know how to handle David's passing. But then I tried to take every opportunity I could.

I packed my bags, following an argument where my parents forced me out of the house, and moved to Brixton, with a ticket to see Iggy Pop in concert held tightly in my hand. I followed my heart, and David's birthplace just so happened to be the place that made sense. Quickly, I got a job in a local record shop and started to earn good money.  Although really, I wanted to be a musician. Still, I needed the job in the record shop to support myself. I was offered various recording studio spaces and it looked like things might be alright.

I did it all by myself, no help whatsoever, but still my parents (who had no idea where I was or what I was doing) would see me as a failed musician. At that moment, I wanted to meet David Bowie. I desired advice, help, and guidance from him. But it was impossible. That's when everything changed...

They always say you'll be disappointed if you meet your heroes. I met mine, completely unintentionally, and I don't know whether it is all real, or whether I'm lying in a hospital bed, deep in a coma. Either way, I'm far from being disappointed.

—————

20th March, 1970

David and I suddenly woke up on the sofa. A sharp, desperate knocking coming from the front door
echoed throughout the house. I rubbed my eyes and yawned, and David, still with his arm around me ran his fingers through my hair. My head rested on his chest, I could hear his heart pounding and getting faster.

"I guess I should get that then." He got up from the sofa, neatened his shirt and tightened his belt. I just stayed on the sofa, completely exhausted from last night and this morning. Firstly, I'm not used to staying out late - usually I get tired by half-past nine, maybe ten o'clock - and secondly, running as fast as I can, practically being dragged, away from a marriage that I somehow stopped from happening, is not how I expected my day to go.

All of this is really quite complicated.

David dragged his feet along the carpet to the door, almost as if he was expecting someone. He unlocked the door slowly and within a second there was the most horrible shriek.

Angie.

"What the hell did you think you were doing?!" I bobbed my head down, paranoid she could see me, but she probably knows I'm here anyways. If she could she would probably murder me right here, right now, in this living room. David somehow took the screaming and stood there in silence, I guess by now he's used to it.

"You know you really showed me up back there, in front of the press and your mother- they've got pictures of me looking absolutely dumbfounded and you, you-" She struggled to speak, barely able to get the worlds out of her system.