Xira

So, this ain't gonna be your standard chapter guys. This is technically not important to the main story line and you can skip it...I wouldn't recommend doing so as we get to know a vital character in our story though. If you choose to skip it, no biggies. If you don't, thanks for sticking around! :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Xira Montenoose was many things. She was a witch, she was a bastard, she was a half-blood. She knew all of that her whole life; she had been raised knowing that. Her mother had told her the story a dozen times. The story of a woman defying her family.

Her mother was a pure-blooded witch that grew up in France. Adelise had been raised the way many witches of her status had. She had to be graceful and elegant, polite, and pretty. And she had been, for many years, she did as her parents asked.

Until she learned that she was going to be married off. Xira's mother had been expecting It apparently, but the hard truth of it happening right then was too much for her. Her mother had gone out one night, and she wasn't back for breakfast.

Adelise began to go out every night after. Her parents hadn't noticed at first. But when the empty seat at the table became a constant thing, they questioned her. For the first time, Xira's mother lied. She had made up some tale of meeting with some pure-blooded friends.

Adelise's parents, who had never known her to lie, accepted her answer. Xira's mom was really meeting a boy. Xira had heard how her mother spoke of the boy. He was blond-haired and blue-eyed. She told Xira how his eyes were as bright and as clear as the sky.

Xira had his eyes; she had her father's eyes. Her mother clearly once had strong feelings for him, the way her eyes lit up when she spoke of him always brought a smile to Xira's face. Xira had always wanted to know her father, but the one thing her mother never talked about was how they split.

She knew her grandparents must have thrown her mother out. Otherwise, Xira would be in France preparing to go off to Beauxbâtons or some other school. Instead, she was living in Scotland with her mom.

Xira had always been intrigued by her mother's past; she had such an interesting one. Xira had never been taught French; her mother seemed to want to forget it. She had done an excellent job learning English. It was rare to hear her mother slip into French. Even her accent had been replaced with Scottish.

Her mother was particularly good at pretending; she could have been an actress. Xira had always thought her mother could have fallen in love again if she chose to. Adelise had clear mahogany skin; Xira has never seen her mother with a single flaw on her.

She had dark onyx eyes that sparkled with youthful vitality, sharp cheekbones, and full lips usually painted a dark red. Her ebony curls always well-behaved and gracefully surrounding her face, highlighting features. Her broader nose had a single freckle on it. When Xira was younger, she used to bop it.

It wasn't just Adelise's beauty that made Xira think she should have had many suitors by now, either. Her mother was a kind, caring, and smart woman. Xira had always been close with her mother; she never had anyone else. She had taught Xira how the world was and raised Xira to be herself.

Xira loved her for that; she would forever be grateful. But Xira was growing up. Their close connection could strain, especially as Xira was to go off to Hogwarts. Xira almost didn't want to; she didn't want to go to an unfamiliar place with people she didn't know.

But her mother told her she had to. To learn magic, it was necessary. Xira wanted to argue, but she understood why her mother wanted her to go so badly. Her mother never got to graduate from the school she went to. Adelise wanted Xira to be better.

It was inevitable anyway; the ministry would get on Xira's mother if she didn't attend at least the first three years. Xira had already read all texts on policies for underage magic users. It wasn't exactly that she was scared to go. She just had a strange fear her mother wouldn't be there when she returned.

That her mother had been waiting for the perfect moment to leave Xira and start a life free of her. It had been an irrational fear of hers for far too long. Her mother loved her; she had said it too many times for it to be a lie. 'I love you, Xira.' It never failed to warm her heart.

Today was an important day, a month or two ago she had received her letter. Xira would be tagging along with her mother to get her supplies. She was excited but still nervous beyond belief. When it came time to go, Xira found herself stalling. Her mother just rolled her eyes at Xira's excuses.

"You know as much as I that's rubbish. Come on, Xira, there's really nothing to be scared about!" Her mother gave her a warm smile, revealing dimples. When Xira didn't move from her spot on the bed, her mother dropped her smile.

"Come on, Xira..." Her mother sounded exhausted, and Xira sighed. She didn't like making her mother tired. Xira slumped off the bed, her shoulders down as she walked toward her door. She stopped in her tracks and turned to her mother, who was slightly smiling behind her.

"Do we really have to? Can't I just stay another year?" Xira's mother huffed and walked toward her. She grabbed Xira's face, squeezing her light brown cheeks. Xira frowned, making the scene comical, and her mother laughed.

"I know your scared, Xira, but you'll do just fine there. There're kids your age, and you'll make so many, new friends! Trust me, I was scared once too." Xira smiled, and her mother released her face; Adelise reached out another hand to smooth an errant honey brown curl. She then observed her daughter and smiled.

"You look a lot like him, you know?" She said it wistfully, distantly. Xira's sky blue eyes shot to her mother's immediately. She never heard her say that before.

"Really?" Xira's eyes sparkled, and Adelise met her daughter's hopeful gaze. Her smile brightened, and she embraced her daughter.

"Really." She whispered into Xira's ear, holding the rather petite girl close. Xira practically squeezed the life out of her mother, hugging her as tightly as she could. Xira had always wanted some connection to her father. This meant more to her than she knew it should.

"Come on now." Her mother released her, and this time Xira didn't fuss when she was led to their Floo. She took the green dust and stepped into the fireplace.

"Diagon Alley!" Xira shouted as she threw the green dust to the ground. Green flames danced around her harmlessly as she was whisked away.

Bleh, hoped you enjoyed and like the character so far! You'll be seeing a lot more of her, so you better! 

                                                                                    -Lemon Nugget