Chapter Twenty-two

Xira enjoyed spending the holidays with her mother. As always, their small home was completely decked out in Christmas decorations. Being back in her home, smelling the distinct scent of her mother's cooking, feeling the soft satin of her bedsheets made her feel safe.

Her mother was dressed in red, gold, white, or green every day to celebrate the season. Adelise was a big Christmas person, and her holiday cheer was infectious. Xira didn't forget her problems back at Hogwarts, but she was able to ignore them.

Now though, winter break was coming to an end, and the new year was starting. A new year sure, but the same problems. Her mother was bringing her along to a small muggle New Year's party; Adelise was already ready. Adelise wore an elegant silver dress and had her curls sprawled around her.

Her lips were painted dark purple, and she had diamond earrings in her ears. Overall, Xira thought her mother looked beautiful. Xira honestly didn't feel like going to this party, but she didn't want to ruin her mother's mood. Adelise knew Xira too well, though.

"What's wrong, sweetie? Ever since you came back, you've been so distracted." Concern was shining in her mother's dark eyes. Xira tried to shake her head and smile, but she knew her smile was weak, and her eyes were still far away. Adelise saw this on her daughter immediately.

She came away from the mirror she was using and crouched down so she could look Xira in the eyes. One hand on Xira's shoulders to stabilize herself a little better and to offer Xira some comfort, the other hand rubbed her cheek affectionately in a way Xira was familiar with.

"I know something's wrong, you're my baby, and I know when you're bothered." Adelise was too good at reading Xira because Xira felt a few hot tears slip from her eyes. She really tried to hold them back, but her mother's warm questioning brought all her emotions back up.

"It's just..." Xira tried to start but had no words. She bit her lip so it wouldn't shake; she felt like a baby crying for her mummy. Sometimes Xira wished she wasn't close with her mother. Maybe it would be easier for her not to tell her mother things she wanted to keep hidden.

"You remember Harry?" Xira looked up from her hands to lock eyes with Adelise; she saw that her mother was trying to think.

"That boy, you wanted to stay here for winter break?" Xira nodded; she took a deep breath as she prepared to say this next part.

"When I told him he was staying with us over winter break, he got mad. He told me he didn't want to spend Christmas with us. It just really hurts because he's my only friend at Hogwarts, and I know we haven't known each other long, but he means a lot to me." Xira sniffled, wiping her nose on her sleeve.

"You didn't ask him first?" Xira felt her heart twinge at her mother's question. It sounded like she was already taking Harry's side.

"I didn't think I had to ask!" Xira exclaimed defensively, her mother's face softened.

"Baby, not everyone is like you. I know you were just trying to be nice and offer some hospitality, but Harry probably didn't see it that way." Even though Adelise's words were calm, Xira's anger grew at them. She just wanted her mother to comfort her. She didn't want to hear why she was wrong.

Xira stood up; her mother was still crouched down. Xira stomped off; she didn't want to deal with anybody right now. She felt sudden rage take her; it was irrational but uncontrollable. She wouldn't yell at her mother, but she wouldn't face her either.

"Xira!" She ignored her mother's alarmed shout. Xira threw open her door then slammed it behind her; she collapsed onto her soft bed. She heard Adelise's footsteps approaching, but she didn't move. It was only when the door opened did she finally lookup.