Chapter Seven

The rest of the trip went along as Harry expected. Hagrid stopped to get him some ice cream, this time, it had been vanilla with chocolate chips. Harry ate it and thought that they would have to stop at Flourish and Blotts for his books next. Hagrid seemed to think his silence was a sign Harry was troubled.

"Something bothering ya?" Harry looked up from his cone and into Hagrid's dark eyes. He blinked twice, not expecting Hagrid to question him.

"Worried about sorting?" Harry decided to go with Hagrid's assumption. He guessed he would have been worried if he really had just been introduced to this world.

"Yeah... I've read on it, but I'm still awfully confused. I just don't know what house I'll get." Hagrid nodded, his thick hair not moving even slightly.

"I get yer confused. I suppose the best thing I could do is clear up fer ya. There're four houses, each of em got their own strengths. Hufflepuff is for the kind and hardworking, Ravenclaw is for the smart and wise, Gryffindor is for the brave and determined, and Slytherin's are the slimy no-good folk. You don't wanna get mixed up with dem Harry." Harry had finished eating the rest of his cone.

"Why not?" Hagrid stared at Harry like he was mad, his eyes bugging out a bit. Harry thought Hagrid had done an excellent job explaining the houses, obviously not Slytherin. That kind of explanation had been expected by Harry, though.

"Why! Harry, you've got a lot to learn. I'll tell you this though, no witch or wizard that has gone into Slytherin has come out good." They sat in silence for a couple minutes, tension resting in the air. Harry guessed Hagrid was remembering. Harry knew that wasn't true; surely, not every wizard there has gone bad.

Hagrid eventually dragged him off to buy his books. He was slick enough to sneak a book that was maybe on the darker side. Harry then paid, and they went to pick up potion supplies. Harry knew if he'd had been just a tad less spiteful, he would have done great in potions.

He would have to do better this time; he wouldn't give Snape a reason to dislike him. Harry also paid for that, and he and Hagrid left the Apothecary.

"Now, just yer wand. Oh! Almost forgot to get yer gift!" Harry had almost forgotten about his darling birthday gift. Hedwig, would she even be there still?

"A gift? You shouldn't." Hagrid waved away Harry's words; Harry knew he couldn't convince him to not get him a gift. They went into the pet shop, the number of beautiful animals left Harry speechless. But the one creature Harry searched for was missing.

Harry felt a sharp pang of pain through his heart, knowing he'd probably never see her again. She probably would live a longer and happier life without him anyway. Harry turned to Hagrid, preparing to ask him a slightly strange question.

"I don't mean to be ungrateful, but could I look on my own?" Hagrid looked confused for a second before he had a look of understanding flash across his face.

"Can't fault a boy wanting to bond with his beast. Go right ahead Harry, I'll be nearby if ya be needin me." Harry gave Hagrid a grateful smile and nodded, looking after Hagrid till he was out of sight. Harry immediately went for the snake area, planning to look for things for Rio.

"Can I come out?" Harry laughed at Rio's tone; he sounded like a cautious child. Harry looked around before he answered. The place was surprisingly empty.

"Yes, come out. Be careful, though." Rio uncurled from his leg, crawling down to the floor. Harry carefully kneeled so he could gently pick up Rio. The snake shifted away from his hands and instead crawled up his arm. He secured himself on the human, his head raised so he could see correctly.