Chapter Eleven

McGonagall had done some brief explaining of the houses before she excused herself to leave for a moment. The chattering started as soon as she left, people nervously wondering aloud how they would be sorted. Harry found it funny he once thought they'd genuinely be given a test.

But to be fair, some kids were new to this world and would most likely believe anything in their worried state. Harry was once one of those kids, but the girl next to him looked on edge strange enough. She looked well versed in wizarding culture; he was puzzled at her expression.

He thought he should comfort her somehow; he felt a little guilty for some strange reason. "You know they're probably not going to test our skills, right?" She rolled her eyes at him, but maybe she looked a little relieved.

"Obviously! Of course, they wouldn't." As soon as the Gryffindor head came back, all muttering ceased. She was an intimidating woman, even to people who hadn't gotten to know her yet.

"The Sorting Ceremony is about to start. Form a line, then follow me." Harry looked around and noticed that the ghosts hadn't come to greet them. It was so strange to know what was supposed to happen, and it never comes—sort of like an altered memory.

McGonagall led them through the two double doors and into the great hall. Harry, too took in the sight. He felt at home once more after being away for so long. Not just while he was at the Dursleys, but while he was Horcrux hunting too.

It had been far too long since he'd seen this place. But as soon as he spotted that blasted man, he knew his face was drained of color. This is the first time he's seen Dumbledore since he found the truth. With that damned twinkle in his eye.

As the first years were led to line up in front of the dirty sorting hat, Harry met Dumbledore's eye. It was only for a second; Harry hoped the man couldn't tell who he was. But if he truly was a clone of his father, it was unlikely. Strange enough, the man's eyes left him. Harry breathed again.

The hats song started up, but Harry still was tense. He swore the song was different, but he couldn't pinpoint how it was. It felt less like a joyful start and more like an epic beginning, but maybe that was just him.

McGonagall started to call the names of students, and they went up. But the girl beside him was embarrassed to say he didn't recall her name from when she told him in the shop, noticed something was up.

"What's wrong, Harry?" He just shook his head; he couldn't explain it to the girl. He'd make up some lie later; maybe she'd just chalk it up to nervousness. Her concerned sky eyes never entirely left his face, though.

"Montemoose, Xira!" Called McGonagall, and the girl next to him, who he now knew was named Xira, went up to the hat. She gulped as she sat down on the stool. She was around his size, so he wasn't surprised when the hat covered her eyes.

There was silence for a good long while before the hat finally split open to deliver the name of Xira's house.

"Slytherin!" Harry was sort of surprised; she seemed to him, if anything a Hufflepuff. Maybe he misjudged her? She walked to the table that clapped for her. Harry waited patiently for the moment he felt it would all go downhill for him. The calling of his own name.

He already saw people looking at the remaining students and whispering, wondering who was the famous 'boy who lived.'

"Potter, Harry!" He had to admit his heart stopped; it was different last time when he was still new to it all. Back when it first started, he didn't have someone who thought he was just some random wizard instead of the one who apparently defeated Voldemort.