Chapter Twelve

Like Harry predicted, he had a restless night. He slept, surprisingly. But it was fitful, at best. When he next opened his eyes, it felt as if he'd never closed them at all. It was early morning, the sun barely over the horizon. Harry knew he wouldn't go back to sleep. He didn't even try.

Harry sat up and looked to his feet; Rio still lay there resting peacefully. He pulled the covers off himself and left the warm bed. The other kids around him slept soundly, not one so much as shifting as Harry moved around. It was better like that anyway; Harry didn't want to face any one of them right now.

He left and went to the common room; it too was empty. Harry could guess why; it was the first day of school. Harry sat in a chair by the corner; it was pleasantly soft.

He'd brought a book with him, a book on astronomy. The first class he was to go to, though Harry never took a liking to it, he thought he'd best be prepared. It, in essence, was fascinating. But Harry just couldn't understand why some people wanted to spend their entire lives studying the subject.

Time had slipped right past him; students had filed into the common room without him even noticing. How was it already nearing nine? The time had flown without him even realizing it. He shut the book and held it in his arms as he stood. His movement immediately drew a few eyes.

People at first didn't seem to think anything of him, but as he moved up the stairs to his room, people watched him. He hated it even more than before. It might also be because the eyes were not friendly whatsoever.

He put the book on his bed, subtly moving Rio under a blanket. The snake complained a little but was asleep once more as soon as Harry stopped jostling him. Harry left the room swiftly after, not making eye contact with a single person, his gaze glued to the floor.

He wondered how many people he knew would look at him in disgust or even fear. After going to Hogwarts for nearly six years, it wasn't so hard to find the astrology class, and every class after was just as easy. Harry developed a routine.

Wake up before everyone else, then eat, if possible, study also. He hung out in the library until class started then the rest of the day passed quickly. It wasn't fun, but it kept him busy. Today though, was another day he was dreading, the first potion's class. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Harry was one of the first in the class. He most certainly didn't want to be late. Xira was the second person to show up. He hadn't really given himself time to think about her. There were too many other things to worry about.

But now, seeing her walking toward him, his guilt hit full force. He turned away from her, focusing instead on his potion's book. But he heard movement next to him, and when he looked up, she was sitting beside him.

He knew she didn't have many friends. She was outgoing, and that repelled the Slytherins. But there were other empty seats; she didn't have to sit next to him. She didn't even say a word; he decided to just leave it at that.

Today was already going to be troublesome. He didn't want to cause more issues for himself. Soon people filled in; he felt burning stares. It wasn't as bad as it used to be though, Harry hoped people realized he wasn't anything special. Harry wouldn't count on that.

Snape entered and did a once over every student before beginning roll call. He stopped at Harry's name, just like before.

"Ah yes..." He said with a smirk, looking up from the paper to stare at Harry.

"Harry Potter. Our new celebrity." He swore it wasn't just the Slytherins who sniggered this time, but he went back to calling names. Once he called every name, he put the paper down and looked all-around at the class.

"You are here to learn the subtle and exact art of potion-making." He said coldly, his voice quiet but powerful. Nobody dared so much as a breath.

"As there is little foolish wand-waving, many of you will hardly believe this is magic. I don't expect you will really understand the beauty of the softly simmering cauldron with its shimmering fumes, the delicate power of liquids that creep through human veins, bewitching the mind, ensnaring the senses...I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death...If you aren't as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach."

Harry was ensnared until Snape finished, sneering at them all. Snape made it seem like potion-making was a mistress that belonged to him, and none of them deserved her. Harry laughed at the sudden image that popped into his head at that train of thought.

"Potter!" Blurted Snape.

"Do you find something funny? If so, please do share." Snape's face slowly morphed into a smirk when Harry remained silent. Harry silently fumed at this. He didn't want to stand up to Snape in fear he'd get himself into trouble, but damn that man.

Harry was sure if he told Snape what he found funny, he'd lose house points or worse, and considering his classmates already despised him, that wasn't the best idea. He would choose to sit here; it sure did cost him his pride, though.

"Snape, sir? I was just telling Potter something funny, is all. I'm sorry we interrupted your class." Xira had chosen to speak up instead of him; he eyed her in awe. She had an innocent and ashamed look on her face, like what she said was indeed what happened. He would have believed it himself.

"Very well, Montemoose. I advise against disrupting my class in the future, one point from Slytherin." Harry resisted the urge to stare around dumbfounded. That was that, no quiz, no embarrassment. He'd done nothing for her. For goodness's sake, he'd lied to her!

Why did she help him? He was put into a pair with her, and as they worked awkwardly on their potion, he felt the strong want to ask.

"Why did you help me?" He asked while she was weighing nettles. She looked up from her work, her eyes strangely icy compared to how they were before. She sighed and closed her eyes, confusing Harry further.

"I thought about your point, and I suppose it isn't right to expect a stranger to be honest with you. But you could have told me later, and that makes us both in the wrong." She said determined, her eyes now a sharp blue and her mouth taunt.

"So, let's start from scratch. I'm Xira Motemoose, and you are?" Her hand was out in front of her, free for him to shake.

"Harry James Potter." He gripped her hand and shook it, getting rewarded with a dimpled smile. He gave her a light smile back, feeling strangely relieved he could start fresh with her.

"Pleased to make your acquaintance, Potter." And she went back to her weighing; he almost stared at her some more. Was he the only one who found her strange? ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ They had ended up working quite efficiently together, finishing the potion with no mistakes. But of course, Neville wasn't so lucky. Seamus had to take him to the hospital wing, but Harry couldn't be blamed like last time as they sat nowhere near the boy.

After the class was over, he walked beside Xira. Harry felt much less hated when he had a friend, though he hoped he wouldn't cause her to become an outcast as well. Harry was just too selfish to push her away, though, too selfish to care.  

I'm really pushing it aren't I? I'm sorry inspirations been low, and distractions high...Hope you enjoyed anyway!

                                                                                    -Lemon Nugget