Chapter Eighteen

After about thirty seconds, the silence became awkward. Harry stood by the troll's feet, Xira by the door, and Hermione by the troll's head. Harry avoided eye contact but felt both girls were looking at him, the troll, and each other.

He didn't really know what he was supposed to say or do. Maybe he should just run away? He realized how idiotic that would be and trashed that idea. It wasn't like he'd done anything too crazy, right? He, a first-year, just took down a twelve-foot-tall troll. Nope, that was perfectly normal.

Hermione was probably trying to rationalize what he did. He didn't know what Xira would be thinking. He mustered up some bravery and peeked at her. She looked directly into his eyes, seeming to ask so many things he didn't understand.

"How did you do that? You're only my age." Said Hermione; she oozed disbelief and suspicion. What would be a reasonable explanation? He couldn't tell her he was actually seventeen years old, and from the future, he'd probably get put in a mental hospital.

"I had been studying advanced spells, it came to mind, and I tried it. I didn't think it would truly work, though...." He honestly didn't know if it would work. Would the troll resist it? Would he not have the power in his eleven-year-old body to even perform the spell?

It wasn't a complex spell, but Harry still had felt he might not be able to do it. Oh, he had; that troll was out cold. He was pleasantly surprised with himself for accomplishing it. If he hadn't done it in front of two people he felt would endlessly question him, he would've pat himself on the back.

Hermione looked like she was about to ask a dozen questions, but Professor McGonagall burst into the room. She was followed by Snape and Quirrell behind. The man who held Voldemort under his turban took one look at the troll and moved as far away from it as he could.

McGonagall peered all around the bathroom, taking in the scene. From Hermione's tear-stained face to Xira's blank look and flushed skin to his own amazed and nervous expression. Harry saw her get a good look at the troll and saw her eyes widen considerably.

"Whoever did this is a real fool...." She said sharply, eyeing Harry in particular. He guessed she knew it was him; she wasn't a twit. He shifted slightly, averting the stares of the people in the room by gazing intently at the ground.

"You are all lucky you weren't killed and even luckier that I won't do anything but take five points from all of you." She glared around the room, but she wasn't as angry as last time. Harry wondered if it was because he and Xira were Slytherins, but Harry couldn't really tell for sure.

"Well, if all of you are unharmed, head to your dorms; students are finishing the feast in there." McGonagall finished, then she left, and the other two teachers followed after. Nobody moved for a little, but eventually, Hermione walked up to Harry.

"Thanks for saving me. I'm Hermione!" Although she appeared exhausted, Harry was impressed; she still managed to sound perky. She gave him a grin and offered her hand; Harry took it hesitantly. He noticed she had a curious but ultimately grateful look in her eye.

"Harry, and your welcome." He said with none of her enthusiasm, though he was glad he saved her and avoided trouble, what he did still left him bone-weary. He let go of her hand, and Harry noticed she was gnawing on her lip. Hermione was clearly debating if she should say something.

"Want to be friends?" She finally asked. She looked so nervous Harry almost accepted out of pity. He glanced behind to Xira; she met his eyes and shrugged. Not good friends, Harry decided, he wouldn't get close with her.

"Sure." He gave her a faint smile. Hermione tried to hide her joy, but Harry saw how happy she was clear as day. He wondered how lonely she really was.

"Well, I'm hungry! I'll be off. Thanks again, Harry." She gave one last glance behind her before she took off to her dorm. Xira walked up to him as soon as she was gone; she was smirking.

"What is it with you and social rejects?" Xira asked humorously, but Harry glared at her.

"You're not a social reject, and how do you know she's one?" She laughed lightly, shaking her head.

"I'm glad you don't think I'm an outcast, but we both know among the Slytherins I am. And as for that girl, it's obvious in how eager she was for you the befriend her." Harry rolled his eyes; he couldn't deny Xira was observant.

After some silence for both to think, Xira's stomach rumbled obnoxiously. She blushed lightly, and Harry chuckled at her embarrassment.

"I'm guessing you're hungry?" He asked playfully, and she punched his arm, a comical frown on her face.

"Shut up, let's just go get some food." He nodded, but the look of amusement never left his face as they walked out of the bathroom.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hermione wasn't as naggy as Harry remembered from his first year, but maybe it was because Harry actually did his own homework. Xira and Hermione got on just fine as well. It was almost like Harry had a trio again.

Well, he didn't spend nearly as much time with Hermione as before. It wouldn't help Hermione's already negative reputation to be seen hanging with snakes. It wasn't only that, though. Harry hadn't really realized how much of a bond he and Xira had till Hermione came along.

Sometimes them two alone was plenty. Hermione seemed happy enough just having friends, and Harry was good if she was pleased. Of course, Xira had interrogated him about that spell. Harry had insisted he honestly didn't know. Harry knew his lies were piling up; he feared the day they'd spill over.

Xira was very far from an idiot, and Harry knew that he was only human and one day he might slip up. No matter how much of a bond he had with her, though, the secrets always seemed far too much to tell. He trusted someone before, someone he thought was good, and he was manipulated.

He knew Xira wasn't Dumbledore, but he knew she also had more to her than what he saw. Xira was a snake just like him and to expose your throat to a snake was to ask for death. Harry couldn't risk it; his will to live would be on the line.

And he felt guilty for it. She made his days brighter and gave him something to do while he plotted. Yet, all he gave her were lies. Lie upon lie, all to keep up a façade. Maybe when it was all done, he'd tell her, when he could afford to lose her trust so exponentially.

For now, he'd do what he's been doing. Soon enough, he would have to face Voldemort for the first time. He racked his brains for how he did it the first time. He'd had Ron, who knew chess, and Hermione, who knew puzzles. This time he would do it alone; it was better that way anyway.

So yeah, Hermione will be a side character and kinda a friend to Harry but not really a main character...I appreciate you all for telling me what you would prefer and hope you enjoyed this work even though it's a day late lol...

                                                                          -Lemon nugget