Interlude

It was cold once more; everything was dark. It was nothing all over again, but Harry wasn't there. Instead, there was a figure. She had multi-colored curls of all textures, this time tied into a braid. The braid was messy as the hair didn't obey very well.

Her many dark eyes were looking in the distance at something only she could see. Her skin still shone like marble, sharply contrasting with her blood-red dress. She was Fate. She laughed suddenly, with a delighted shock on her face.

"I have to ask Destiny about this!" She murmured excitedly, her eyes now focusing on the darkness around her. That's when a being of smoke and glass appeared. He came from the shadows. The only thing that didn't blend in was his glass eye filled with yellow smoke.

"Truth!" Fate exclaimed, surprised and now nervous. The smoke in his eye flashed orange for just a second before he regained his composure.

"Tell Destiny what, Fate?" Truth asked slowly, daring her to lie to him, the personification of all truths. Fate knew better. She sighed deeply, all her eyes closing.

"You remember that human boy? Harry Potter?" Fate asked calmly. Truth's smoke turned deep orange, verging on red. As much as Fate knew she and Truth were equals, there were moments when she feared his anger. This was one of those moments.

"You were told to leave him be." Truth said in a deadly calm tone, but the orange of his smoke gave his mood away. Fate sighed, rubbing a hand over her face. Such a human gesture for a being like her, but she's watched humans for so long.

"You know I can never leave things be, Truth." Truth made a disapproving noise, shaking his head. He turned away from her. Fate could still feel his lousy mood; it was a consuming thing. The smoke around him seemed less contained, swirling around.

The shape of his body became blurrier as the smoke that was him spread out, but he took a deep breath, and the smoke contained itself. He turned back to Fate, the smoke a lighter orange.

"You're an idiot." He hissed the words like venom. Truth crept up to her till Fate stared right into his glass eye. Fate's eyes narrowed, her mouth taunt, and her arms crossed.

"Don't speak to me that way!" Fate demanded indignantly. Fate hated when others spoke down to her. She deserved just as much respect as they did. Truth chuckled darkly, smoky hand resting on her shoulder.

"You're my little sister, Fate. I speak to you how I want." Fate shrugged him off her, face livid. He always used that against her. Truth gave her some space; his smoke had faded to yellow. Slightly annoyed.

"Well, why were you investigating?" He asked. Fate almost didn't tell him; he didn't deserve to know. But Fate knew that Truth would find out, no matter what.

"I was just curious." Fate said defensively, arms still crossed. She knew she resembled a child, but she didn't care. Truth's smoke flashed orange, and he made an aggravated noise.

"What did you find out, then?" Truth asked, impatience leaking into his voice. Fate raised an eyebrow at him.

"Why do you want to know?" She asked; her words held a hidden accusation. He was curious, and Fate knew that. How dare Truth shame her when he too wished to know? Hypocrisy. Truth snarled at her, sounding much like a rabid dog.

Like a vicious animal that belonged in the wild instead of the deity he was. His smoke was red now, and Fate smirked at him. A spiteful look that only showed her dislike. His figure was getting blurry now, but her own temper was rising.

All her eyes were narrowed; there was a red glint to them now. All her tendrils seemed to vibrate with electricity, beautiful as they were threatening. She resembled Medusa in how her hair moved like snakes, breaking free of the braid.