Chapter 04

Please follow @beeyotchupdated on twitter for real time tweet if any story got updated. Thank you. 

#NY04 Chapter 04

Eli wasn't saying anything, but even in his silence, I felt his worry. My parents were a lot, but I could not imagine them being gone—I wouldn't even try to imagine that. They'd been there all my life... I couldn't begin to understand what I'd feel if one of them leaves.

I didn't know what Eli was feeling, so I hoped that my presence was enough.

After 2 hours, Dr. Riegas emerged from the operating room. Eli immediately stood up. I almost fell asleep, but that woke me up.

"Doc," he said. "Kamusta na po iyong nanay ko?"

I stood there quietly as the doctor explained to him what happened in the operation. I quietly listened because Eli might have questions. When Dr. Riegas was done explaining, he excused himself.

Eli sat down and covered his face with his hands.

"The operation was a success," I said. I really didn't know Dr. Riegas, but I heard good things about him. He's one of the best in his field.

"Ganito rin 'yung kay Papa dati sabi ni Ate."

I remained silent.

"Okay daw tapos biglang may complication," he continued, his voice very low. "Sorry. 'Di pa rin ako mapakali. Si Mama lang kasama ko rito sa Pilipinas, e."

I just stayed there.

"Sandali lang—tawagan ko lang sila Ate," he said as he stood up and began dialing on his phone. I stayed there for a while as he updated his sister about his mom's status, but after a while, I needed to leave because I was being called. I wanted to say goodbye, but I couldn't find the right timing, so I just quietly left.

I finished my duty but before I left, I went to see Eli again and I saw him sleeping. I requested for an extra blanket from the nurse and covered him up before I left to go home.

I went straight to sleep upon arriving. I was so tired. I woke up late and saw that my family was already having breakfast. My mom was ignoring me because of what happened the last time we talked, but seeing Eli worried about his mom... I gave in and hugged my mom and whispered sorry in her ears. I saw Dad smiled at us.

"Mommy, I woke you up but you kept on returning to your sleep!" Sammie said as I asked her to hand me the bread.

"Mommy is tired," I replied.

"You won't drive me to school today, Mommy? Teacher Eli said that—"

"I don't think Teacher Eli will go to school," I absent-mindedly said.

"Why, Mommy?"

I stopped when I realized what I just said.

I looked around and saw that everyone was staring at me like I was some specimen under the microscope. I blinked. Why did I say that? I really shouldn't interact with people when I am sleep-deprived!

"I... don't know."

"Is Teacher Eli really my future daddy, Mommy?"

If I were drinking my coffee, I was sure that I would have choked on it already.

"Sean is your daddy," I said, trying to end the conversation.

"I know that daddy is my daddy, but if you have another husband, will he be my daddy, too, mommy? Daddy said that he'll always be my daddy, but I should accept if I will have another daddy—but he also said that I should probably not call him daddy because that might be confusing."