chapter 36: the worst prank in the history of pranks

May 18th, 1995

Naomi seemed to calm down after a while, though I could tell that the whole ordeal was still bothering her, even if she was able to put on a fake smile and go about her day as if nothing was wrong. Naomi was very good at that. She didn't want anyone to ever think that her perfect world was in shambles. Naomi would rather live in a burning house than admit it was on fire.

I wanted to help her, but there were just so many other pressing issues on my mind that I just couldn't seem to find the time to fit hers in as well. I wasn't too worried about it though. I knew that she'd get to go to her mastery class eventually. She usually got exactly what she wanted, even if it didn't seem to be going that way at first. Everything just always seemed to work out for Naomi.

Besides, our parents loved her more. They would remember this as soon as they had the two of us living back at home and realize that she was just a better daughter (mostly because she never questioned a thing they said) Then they would feel bad that they put her through this turmoil and immediately beg for forgiveness, showering her with everything she ever wanted.

Well, maybe not that far. But they would definitely change their mind about the whole mastery class thing. Unless their hatred for all things magic was deeper than I thought.

Whether or not our parents would let her go wasn't my biggest concern. I still had to worry about Cass's vision. And catching up on my studies. And finding time to hang out with Fred — though, admittedly, that was always at the bottom of my to-do list.

It wasn't like I didn't want to spend time with Fred, but I was so stressed out about all of my studies that it sort of slipped my mind more often than not, and we would only be able to see each other in fleeting moments. Passing each other in the halls as I went to my next private lesson and he went to his next class. A quick snuggle by the fireplace before I inevitably fell asleep in his arms or forced myself to climb the spiral staircase and plop down in my bed, uniform and all. Meal times were always nice, though I often used them as more time to read through my textbooks. One hand occupied with the first finger food that I could find, usually a sandwich of sorts, the other jotting notes onto a random parchment I found at the bottom of my bag about some sort of magical concept.

I spent a lot of time in a study nook I found nestled between two large windows that overlooked the mountainside. It was far enough away from the main area of the castle, so no one ever really came close enough to distract me and pull me out of whatever textbook I was skimming. It was a bit lonely in that particular nook, but it was better than studying in the common room or the library, where I knew there would be ample distractions.

I was deep into a chapter all about Banshees one afternoon when the sound of rapid footsteps pounding against the stone floor pulled my focus away from the text. Turning towards the sound, I saw Fred running down the hall with Filch hobbling not far behind.

Fred was laughing, glancing behind him every now and then to see if Filch was still chasing him. He was. And he looked pissed.

"Gem!" Fred exclaimed when he saw me sitting there, "Run!"

I raised my eyebrow, wondering why I had to run. I hadn't done anything, and Filch knew that. If I started running with Fred, I would become an accomplice to whatever idiotic thing he was in trouble for.

I wasn't given any chance to protest before Fred ran up to me and gripped my wrist, pulling me up out of my chair.

"Run." He said again, a smirk forming across his face. But there was a sort of fear in his eyes that I didn't understand. My confusion just grew stronger when I saw a flock of chickens turn the corner behind Filch.