part five

Leila POV

We're so close. I feel his growing stubble brush my chin as his lips come closer and touch my nose. The rise and fall of our bodies come in sync. We are one.

There isn't a sight that can be better than this right now. His gleaming blue eyes are searching through mine and I feel like I can suddenly read all of his thoughts. Like we've known each other for years and not just one encounter at my wedding.

I haven't told Steve yet but during our two month honeymoon there were times where I couldn't sleep. Fragments of Bucky creeped into my dreams and I would awake in the middle of the night and clutch my chest as if I couldn't breathe. Steve wanted me to go to the doctors to get checked out but I was able to convince him that it was just the stress from jet lag and being in a different country. I haven't told him about me seeing color yet, either. I want to, he's my husband. But this seems like a secret I need to take to my grave.

"Are you okay?" Bucky's question breaks my thoughts and I blink back to the present.

I nod and give him a small smile, "I'm okay now, Bucky."

He leans in closer and I feel like a magnet being pulled to him. I've never felt this way before. Not even with Steve. The heat is rising between us two as we stay in this position.

"Leila!" Nat's voice breaks our connection and Bucky winces as he removes himself off me. I lay there on the grass and see Nat run to me and kneel down. She's studying my face, particularly my cheek, and I can see the anger in her eyes.

"I'm going to personally find that man and give him hell," She says to me. I shake my head and wince. My lip is cut up and my cheek got slashed, the blood is finally drying on my face.

I look over to Bucky and Nat's gaze follows mine. "Bucky... your shoulder," I gasp. I'm able to see in clear vision blood coming from his suit, creating a violet hue against the black fabric. He took a bullet for me. This is my fault. "I'm so sorry." I say, tears forming in my eyes.

"Please, dont." He says. His eyes show forgiveness as Nat helps me up. Overhead, we hear Sam fly to us and land on the ground. I can see Steve running down the highway as fast as he can.

"I was able to get redwing to put a tracker on one of the trucks," Sam tells us. Then he turns to me and says, "Are you okay? I saw you jump. You're brave, just like Steve said."

This makes me smile and that's when Steve finally reaches us. Without even saying anything, I limp towards Steve to close our distance and he wraps his arms around me and sweeps me up, never letting go. "God, I'm so sorry. I never should've let you come, Leila. This is all my fault." He whispers into my ear.

He puts me down and I hold his face in my hands and kiss him. He grabs my hands and looks at the damage on my face. His jaw tenses and I can see him avert his eyes towards Nat. "I'm going to get those sons of bitches. No one lays a hand on my wife."

"Don't go without me," Nat chimes in. She's standing tall and I see Bucky behind her taking off his top half of his suit and pulling down the black compression shirt he has underneath, slowly taking out the bullet in his shoulder with his metal hand. He winces and groans, but then throws the bullet on the ground. He shakes his shoulder and catches my eye.

"Bucky, thank you," Steve says, as he squeezes my arm. Bucky looks at us both as he puts back his shirt and suit.

"Don't worry about it, buddy," He replies. His gaze moves from Steve to me and I can see the pain in his eyes. Not only did he take a bullet for me but now he has to see Steve console me. Something strange happens to my heart strings, as if they're pulling for him. Stop it. I tell my heart.