part twenty one

Leila POV

    It's like the world is shattering, piece by piece, and the shards are landing down on Steve and I. Each one like pointed daggers on our skin and tearing through our hearts, destroying the bond between us slowly.

There aren't any words that I can say to make this all right. To erase the pain from his face and the obvious pain in his heart.

    All because his best friend made me see color. His best friend who happens to be my soulmate.

    "Well, Leila. Answer me," He pleads. His breathing is shallow and I can barely hear his words leave his mouth.

His eyes are bloodshot with pain and he steps closer to me. His hands are reaching for mine, as if touching me would make this any easier. As if his touch would take me back to a couple months ago where I didn't meet Bucky.

    But... it happened and now I'm here on a lifeline trying to not drown in fate's fucked up game.

    "Y-yes." I finally blurted. I can feel my chest harden as I attempt to breathe; the wind is knocked out of me although I'm standing still. His hands drop to the counter as he takes in my stance, not allowing him to touch me just yet.

    "How could you do this to me?" His voice cracks even further. The look of disgust is hidden well under his broken features.

    My hands reactively reach up towards my chest and I hold myself, trying to breathe slowly. His eyes continue to burn through mine as he waits for an answer.

    "We didn't mean for this to happen, I love you Steve. But at our wedding-" I finally croak out as tears well up in my eyes.

My vision is starting to blur and I blink fast, dissipating the tears and seeing Steve clearly. I deserve to see his pained face in clarity, I deserve to have this snapshot of his breaking heart etched into my mind forever.

I deserve to have nightmares about this night that floods my vision every time I close my eyes. I deserve every painful thing...because I'm the one doing this to him. I'm the one breaking Steve Rogers' heart.

Steve just shakes his head and slumps his shoulders, "Leila, I love you. But I'm not sure if I could ever get past this..." His voice trails off and I crane my neck with confusion plastered on my face.

He continues, "I don't want to be with someone that has found their soulmate. I don't deserve this. Peggy was right." He bites his lip as he says those last three words.

"What do you mean, Peggy was right?" I sternly ask.

I can feel a wall being built up inside of me. Steve always favored Peggy and it seemed like he always chose her even if they weren't together.

"I mean..." Steve starts, looking at me and his face contorts into anger. "How could I be this stupid to marry a woman that I don't see color with. This has happened twice and I still don't learn."

He shakes his head and leans over the counter, tapping his forehead lightly against the granite before standing back up.

My breaths are short and I can feel the anger bubble up inside of me as well. I want to reply with a snide remark, but Steve beats me to it.

"I get it that when we married you were marrying into being an Avenger's wife. I get that... but it wasn't fair to push you into this lifestyle. Of me always leaving and never being here for you. It's clearly not enough for you that you had to get my best friend."

"I didn't get him. He made me see colors, Steve!" I retort back, finally finding my voice. My words shake with vexation and pain.

Steve shakes his head, "Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot... It just had to happen at our wedding, right? Of course Bucky always gets the girl. Even my fucking wife." He slams the countertops with his palms and I jump in my place at the sound.