part thirteen

WARNING: 18+ MINORS DNI

Steve POV

Please, oh, please let Leila be okay. Those are the only thoughts my mind is transfixed on right now. It's like being in a quiet room waiting for a pin to drop. Having no other worry in the world, but just that one pin. In my case, it's knowing Leila is safe.

It's impossible to not think the worst of things. Especially since knowing the Takers already hurt Leila, they have no limits after figuring out Bucky murdered their people.

I'm currently on the jet with Nat and Sam heading back to New York. Once we got new orders from Fury, we packed our bags and got on the jet the next morning. Due to the time difference it would be the next day, so I was planning to head to Bucky's to see if they're hiding out there or left yet to a safe location.

I thought back on the past 24 hours and what happened. After calling Bucky and asking him to take care of Leila yesterday, I had to continue my work. The day wasn't over yet and Fury wanted us to regroup without him and discuss any details that happened during our time apart.

Sam and I met back up with Nat in a dingy cafe in Mitte, the city center of Berlin. It was full of tourists basking in the evening summer weather as well as locals meeting up with each other for a bite to eat after a long day of work.

The cafe was tucked away in a dark-lit alley and it was obvious that when it became night time it was conveniently converted into a speakeasy. The tiny structure was filled with the taint scent of tobacco and coffee.

Nat was able to give us more intel on the Takers and how they were still in Berlin. They were up to something, but she couldn't figure out what. When she asked Sam and I how the visit to Zemo went, we both fell silent.

We were unsure how to tell her that Leila was in danger. I was unsure how I would break the news about Bucky murdering Leila's abductors. I wasn't too sure how she'd react to it. She would most likely go to the States and rip him a new one.

After half an hour of Nat prying us for answers, we finally confessed the conversations that happened in the prison. Nat didn't flinch one bit about the Bucky part. She was eager to find out if Leila knew about any of this, but I let her know that I didn't have the time yet to call her.

That's what I planned to do tonight; it would be early afternoon for her when I called due to the time difference. I was hoping Bucky would already be there by the time I called just to know that our plan was working smoothly.

By the time the sun set, we were ready to leave the cafe and venture out towards our sleeping quarters. Sam and Nat were off to my right talking about nonsense when I got a call from Fury.

"Hey guys, hold up." I told Nat and Sam and they stopped in their tracks. "It's Fury."

I picked up the phone and asked Fury if everything was okay. All I got on the receiving end of the line was, "Zemo escaped."

I looked at Sam and Nat, who waited for any reaction from me as I spoke with Fury, and I gave them a worried expression.

"Zemo escaped?" I repeated, mainly for Nat and Sam to hear.

"Yes, we were contacting the prison to make sure the visit went smoothly and they told us that he's gone. Security footage was faulty, but it seemed like the Takers had a member disguised as a guard and assisted him in escaping right after you guys left. It would make sense since they paid him a visit already. It was all a set up. I should have seen it coming."

His words were stern and heavy. I couldn't comprehend what he was saying. Like a deer in headlights.

Nat couldn't take the anticipation any longer and pried the phone out of my hands and began speaking with Fury, demanding to know what he just told me. She was able to relay the information to Sam. She ended the call shortly after repeating Fury's plan and we headed back to our sleeping quarters.