part twelve

Leila POV

    There are bright lights everywhere. My vision is blinded and I can't hear a damn thing. It's like whatever is blinding us is also using some kind of ear-splitting device to deafen us. I can faintly hear Bucky's voice screaming for me but I'm too focused on what's going on in front of us.

    We were just in the middle of a conversation where Bucky thought it'd be best to tell Steve about us. I was going to answer him, until the door to the apartment smashed open with a loud knock and blinding lights entered the room.

    Due to having multiple training sessions with Nat, my body immediately went into the fight/flight mode. Her words are running through my mind, "If you can't see and you're ambushed... get behind whatever you're near until you can focus your senses again. Then fight like hell."

So I did just that. I used the muscle memory from Nat's training and lifted myself off the couch and stumbled behind it. My thoughts immediately shift and my heartbeat quickens. Bucky. Did he see where I went? I can faintly hear my name muffled into the deafening noise.

I pull my hands over my ears and begin looking around to adjust my eyesight to the blinding lights.  It's flashing now in the room and I can hear footsteps. I'm facing to the right of the couch, so if someone walked over to the couch they would most likely see me.

I feel a hard hand grab my shoulder and I scream. Suddenly there's a flesh hand over my mouth shushing my screams. I turn my neck slightly and I can make out the features of Bucky's metal arm around my shoulder and I brush his hand off my mouth.

Suddenly, the room goes silent and the bright lights stop flashing. There's voices speaking in Russian and I turn around from where I'm crouching and meet Bucky's face. We're inches apart and there's anger and worry splayed across his face.

"Bucky," I try to whisper, but he puts a finger on my lips and silently shushes me.

"Soldat," One of the voices pierce the room in a Russian dialect. Bucky's body stiffens at the sound of the Russian word and I assume they mean soldier.

"Leila..." Bucky holds my hands in his flesh one and squeezes. I try to read his eyes but there's a million thoughts racing in them. It's like he's trying to communicate with me but it's too many words to comprehend.

Footsteps echo as we are transfixed on each other's gaze that I completely forget to watch my surroundings. I see someone tall in a long black peacoat and matching turtle neck with slacks. His hair is dark brown and he has a strong jawline and high cheekbones. There's a holster on his waist with a gun attached as well as a flashlight in his hand.

"Behind you!" I scream as Bucky registers where my gaze falls onto and he turns around and grunts in anger as he lunges at the person behind him.

I lean back and fall on my palms as I see Bucky reach for the guy's throat with his metal hand. My brain is unable to comprehend the next few minutes.

Someone from behind grabs me and I yelp as they pick me up by my underarms. I try to get out of their grasp but it's too tight. I can feel their breath on my neck and when I turn my head, I see it's a woman.

Jet black hair, wearing the same outfit as the man in Bucky's grasp. I try to crane my neck around the apartment to see if there's anyone else in there but she grabs my hair and yanks my neck and holds me still.

"Give me one good reason not to kill you right now." Bucky snarls at the man under his hold. He glances back at me and his eyes go soft for a second as he makes eye contact with me. I can see sorrow fill his eyes. I shake my head in an attempt to communicate with him.