Chapter 17

"Oh, Jesus," Klaus says, seeing the dead babushka's wounded face.

"Look at her," Ben says. "At how she's looking at them. She's one of their victims. We can use this. Go on," He encourages. "You haven't been this sober since you were a teenager, since you decided to keep the ghosts at bay. This is your chance, Klaus. To control them, learn their secrets. Try to talk to her."

"Hi… Hi!" Klaus tells the ghost. "Hi, uh… What's your name?"

"Zoya Popova," The ghost replies.

"Oh! That's a lovely name," Klaus compliments her. "And can you tell me what happened?"

"What happened is if you don't shut up, Imma cut your tongue out with a grapefruit spoon," Cha-Cha threatens, her and Hazel not knowing that he was communicating with a spirit.

"Zoya Popova," Klaus says.

"What did he say?" Hazel asks.

"Zoya Popova?" Cha-Cha asks.

"Old Russian broad, short, with a limp. Oh, she's really pissed at you guys," Klaus laughs, sending chills down both assassins' spines.

Timeskip

"She chopped my hands off and let me bleed to death in the bathtub," A male soul tells Klaus, holding up his handless arms.

"He took me to a temple, slashed my throat, watched me bleed out," A Chinese female tells him.

"She crept into my room, put a pillow over my face, and told me not to bother praying," Another female soul tells him in Farsi.

"They attacked jumper cables to my nipples and shocked me for hours," The male who was at Griddy's with Y/n and Five tells him.

"He pretended to have car trouble, and when I stopped to help, he ran me over. Uh… forward, reverse. Then he saw my wife waiting for me in the car. She ran," A man with tire tracks covering him from body to head says.

"Just shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up. Everybody, just… everybody just shut up, please shut up. Jesus, you guys are worse than the drugs," Klaus tells the ghosts that were surrounding him.

"How could he possibly know about Zoya Popova?" Hazel asks Cha-Cha.

"Maybe he guessed, I don't know," Cha-Cha says. "Who cares? She's dead. You need to focus. That little psycho could show up any minute. Or do you wanna be docked pay again, go back and tell 'em we couldn't hack it, face those consequences? Pull it together, now!"

"Swiss Alps, huh?" Klaus asks. "Which one are you? Cha-Cha or Hazel?" He asks the male.

"Hazel," Hazel replies.

"Jan Mueller. Remember him? Swiss Alps. Him and his wife were coming back from a ski trip."

"I remember," Cha-Cha says. "Forward. Reverse."

"Yeah, that's it!" Klaus says. "Yeah! And his wife… escaped down an alleyway. He says to say thank you."

"What's he talking about?" Cha-Cha asks.

"I don't know," Hazel lies.

"He was so grateful to you, Hazel, for having spared his wife. You know, there may be hope for him yet. Don't you think?" Klaus asks.

"Bathroom, now!" Cha-Cha says before they enter the bathroom.

"Nicely done," Ben tells Klaus.

"Thank you," Klaus says.

"Sit," Cha-Cha tells Hazel, who obeys. "You told me you shot the wife in the alley. And now I'm hearing that you spared her?"

"Come on," Hazel says. "Don't be ridiculous. You think I'd do something like that? I just… I was bored. I thought I'd give her a head-start, make it more exciting."