Chapter 20

"Oh, hey," Vanya says, seeing Allison outside her apartment.

"Hey. Can I come in?" Allison asks.

"Well... Sorry, I really need to rehearse," Vanya says.

"Uh... Look, I know you're not gonna want to hear this, but I was just in the library looking up Leonard."

"What?"

"And..."

"Why would you do that?"

"Vanya, there are records of literally everything. I mean, you look me up, there are miles..."

"You're one of the most famous people in the world."

"Okay, bad example. My point is that there should be some kind of record of him, but all I could find is a photo and his name in the phone book. It's like he didn't exist..."

"You are unbelievable," Vanya says. "You're trying to dig up dirt on a guy that I like. Who does that?"

"Look, I've had my fair share of stalkers and creeps. I don't trust him."

"You mean you don't trust me," Vanya accuses.

"What?" Allison asks. "No. That's..."

"This is not about you," Vanya says. "And for the first time, someone thinks I'm special."

"I'm just worried about you," Allison defends.

"Well, you're not my mother. Worry about your own daughter."

"That's not fair," Allison says.

"I want you to leave," Vanya says before Allison complies and leaves her apartment.

Timeskip

"Singles instead of doubles. What's next, futons on the floor?" Hazel asks when they get their new room.

"What difference does it make?" Cha-Cha asks. "We're only here another night."

"Well, that's easy for you to say. I've been in every pawn shop all over town, looking for our briefcase. You've been relaxing in the library."

"Well, at least we know something on the family that can help," Cha-Cha says, holding a copy of Vanya's book. "It's like a Hargreeves family handbook. Let me tell you, they're a real freaking mess. Number Five can time travel without a briefcase, but not that well. The big oaf lived on the moon for a few years. The junkie can really conjure the dead," She says as Hazel looks out the window. "Which explains why he knew about the dead Russian yesterday. Number Eight can conjure barriers to deflect and destroy anything. And the idiot in the mask can curve anything he throws, usually knives."

"Well, he's the one we need to worry about now," Hazel says.

"Why?"

"Cause he's in the parking lot, hiding behind an ice-cream truck."

"Bingo," Diego says, seeing Cha-Cha close their room curtains.

"You do know that killing these people is not gonna make you feel any better," Klaus says.

"Yeah, but when it's done," Diego replies as Klaus chugs a bottle of alcohol. "I'm gonna sleep like a baby."

"Sure you will."

Hazel and Cha-Cha see a shadow from their hotel room. Cha-Cha approaches the door, cocking her gun as Hazel peeks out the window to see who it is.

"Motel clerk," Hazel says as Cha-Cha hides her gun.

The motel clerk hands her a letter, leaving as Cha-Cha slams the door closed.

"It's from Five," Cha-Cha says.