Chapter Seventy-Six

It's my last day of exams!! :)

"Oh, pissing hell!"

"Language, Potter!"

"Morning, Evans."

"Shut up, James," said Silvanna and Sirius at once. "It's barely eight in the morning, don't need your longing voice ringing in my ears," Silvanna continued. "Anapneo," she added as Remus began to choke on his coffee. "Really, Remus, I know I'm irresistible, but I'm not that funny."

"Another day, another round of Silvanna dragging the four of us through the mud," said Pete, eating his forth slice of toast.

"I do try," said Silvanna with a grin.

"Oh, pissing hell," said Sirius, now consulting his timetable. "You were right, James - look at this! Double History this afternoon; it's outrageous."

"Wouldn't have happened if you took an extra subject," scolded Remus, calmly looking at his own, "Yep. We've got Runes this afternoon." Silvanna took a moment to look at her own - Potions and double Charms before lunch, that wasn't too bad. And brilliant - Charms was with the Slytherins, so she could aim at her brother.

Aside from the lectures about OWLs and revision, blah, blah, blah, Silvanna's first day back passed reasonably well. She worked with some Ravenclaw in Potions, because Severus wasn't in their class that year but Lily worked with Louisa. Louisa sat with with them at lunch, and happily chatted about how different exams were over at Beauxbatons, and she was already narrowing down her courses. While at Hogwarts, she was only doing Potions, Herbology, Defence, and Ceeatures, so she was sitting in some sixth year classes too.

At lunch, Silvanna was happily enjoying her marmite toast, when a second-year Ravenclaw came up to them. "Um, I've been told to give you this," she said, handing Silvanna a scroll tied with violet ribbon.

"Thanks," said Silvanna, placing it next to her plate.

"Lily, hissed Marlene, a grin on her face, "You're scaring her." Silvanna looked up, and saw that Lily was indeed smiling at the Ravenclaw girl. Their faces turned very pink, and the latter scurried away.

"Leave her be, Marls," said Mary, "She's a prefect now. The best of the bunch."

"Not a very good bunch," muttered Lily as Silvanna untied the scroll, making them all laugh. It was very loopy handwriting.

Dear Silvanna,

I would like to discuss some things regarding your summer this afternoon. Please come to my office after your fifth period lesson. Have an enjoyable first day back,

Professor Dumbeldore

P.S. My favourite sweet is crystallised pineapple

What the fuck was that supposed to mean? Was she supposed to take some? Where was she supposed to get that from at such short notice?

"What is it?" asked Marlene, shovelling pasta into her mouth.

"Hm?" asked Silvanna, her mind whirring. "Oh, Dumbeldore wants to talk to me."

"What?" demanded Lily, looking worried.

"He's teaching me how to fly," Silvanna said calmly, making Mary giggle again.

So after Ancient Runes, Silvanna left Remus and Lily (who she'd been sat between all afternoon) and headed to where she knew Dumbledore's office was. Only now did it occur to her that she didn't know what the password was, and she ended up stood there sheepishly for five minutes, waiting for someone to pass by. They didn't.

She untied the scroll, reading through it again. "Crystallised pineapple?" she tried, not overly enthusiastic. Fortunately, the gargoyle jumped aside, and she was already halfway up the stairs when they began to move.

She knocked sharply on the heavy door, hurting her knuckles, and was greeted with a, "Come in!" Dumbledore's office hadn't changed since the last time she'd been in there, except perhaps now his desk had more paperwork on it. Poor bloke; that was her idea of hell. "Ah, Silvanna! Do sit down. Would you like a sweet? Or a cup of tea?"

"Tea, please, Professor," she said, dropping her bag to the floor. Moments later a dainty teacup and saucer drifted towards her. "Thank you."

"How were your holidays?" asked Dumbledore, looking at her over his glasses as he sipped his tea.

Silvanna saw no reason to beat around the bush. "The Princes told me about their selective marriages, and - well, they called them gifts - that a lot of them have. I can fly, and go invisible. And I'm a legillimens. They taught me all that, I had to do some extra reading and stuff, not much. Er - they did have me practice duelling too, and I know we're not supposed to do magic outside of school-"

"You needn't worry about that," said Dumbledore, waving his hand. "Thank you for telling me. Please continue."

"Right," said Silvanna. "I've mastered the flying and stuff. But then I heard a conversation about getting me betrothed and - well, I panicked a bit, Sir. I'm really sorry."

"I see," said Dumbledore, his eyes twinkling. Silvanna couldn't read his face at all. "What happened after that?"

"I went back home," said Silvanna truthfully. "I haven't seen them since."

Dumbledore looked to be in grave thought for a minute. Eventually he nodded, slowly. "I'd like you to show me, if you don't mind?" Immediately, Silvanna turned herself and her teacup invisible. He looked a little startled for a second, and then smiled faintly. "And do you have room to fly?"

Silvanna put her teacup down and got up, levitating a few feet off the ground. "And you have complete control?" asked Dumbledore, and Silvanna felt quite smug at the faint amazement on his face.

"Yeah," said Silvanna. "I did some airborne duelling practice too, so I can hover and stop and stuff."

"Fantastic, Silvanna, that's great news," he said, flicking his wand and vanishing their tea things. "Now, I'd rather your brother doesn't find out just yet. We need to tend this with extreme caution."

"Yes, Sir," said Silvanna. "Um - if you don't mind me asking - why did you want me to learn about this? And talk to the Princes?"

Dumbledore looked at her calculatingly for a moment, lines settling in his face. "Another time, perhaps," he said, picking up his quill and beginning to write. "Thank you, Silvanna. You may go."

And, feeling rather like she'd stepped in something a little out of her depth, Silvanna grabbed her bag and hurried off to the library. She wanted to know, she really did. But if it was important enough, she'd find out eventually.