Chapter One-Hundred-and-Thirty-One

Sup?

Exams came and went, and it turned out that avoiding everyone she knew had done her grades a world of good, despite the exams being the hardest she'd ever sat. She thought it was a miracle she'd passed, let alone with flying colours. And she passed apparation too, along with the rest of the Gryffindors, save Marlene who couldn't take it until her birthday. Peter didn't even splinch, so he got through with the rest of them.

Marlene had done well in her exams as well, and both were pleased when she found out. There was no meet-up after the exams; there was no point to begin with. But there was the sunny smile and a thumbs up before Mary ushered her away. And a letter, slipped into her lap as she, Mary, and Lily left the Great Hall one lunchtime. As she always did when she opened secret notes, she waited for bed before opening it.

Silvanna,

I'm really grateful for all the help you've given me over the last few months. I did so well in my exams, and I'm so much more confident now so thank you. And we've had some laughs, some really good times.

Sirius told us what you said to him at the Quidditch after-party. Honestly I don't know what to think. I know they're your family, but I can't see that they're making you happy. Despite what everyone says, I'm certain that hiding behind all those books I've been seeing the real you. I just wish everyone else could see you too. I understand these things are your decision to make, and I won't stop you.

Having said all that, it's been too much to defend you to the others until I'm red in the face. Peter reminded me the other day that I used to laugh at Lily for defending Severus so much, and now look at me. They think I'm as bad as she was, that it's come full circle. I don't think we should carry on with our tutor sessions in Seventh Year. Lily and Remus have agreed to take over, and McGonagall has approved it. I'm sorry to tell you this way, but I don't think I'll be seeing my Silvanna again, so I didn't really have a choice.

I truly wish you all the best in the future, whatever that may be like. Don't be a stranger. With love,

Marlene.

And Silvanna cried.

*****

During one of their last Charms lessons, where they were being given preparatory work for the holidays, a small third year knocked on the classroom door. Some Aurors needed to speak to Silvanna in Professor Dumbledore's office. A feeling of dread filled her. This had something to do with her mum, she knew it.

But when she opened the oak door, there were no Aurors. Just Dumbledore, writing letters as usual. "Hello Silvanna."

"Good afternoon, Professor," she said, still looking around for some Aurors. "I was told-"

He looked at her, eyes twinkling and wearing a small smile. "A white lie. To avoid suspicion? You see, I wanted to catch you before you departed for the summer." She nodded her understanding, and took the seat he indicated. "Firstly, I'd like to thank you; you've done marvellously at infiltrating, and with persuading people you've fully reconnected with your family. And now, I must ask you to continue with your role." She nodded again.

"I have this for you." He placed a large bottle of glittering, dark blue ink on the desk. She picked it up and stared at it, marvelling at how it shimmered when it caught the hot sunlight. "It's enchanted - blood magic, I'm sure you've heard of it?"

She put the bottle down, faster than was polite. "That's dark magic Professor," she said, disbelief lacing her voice. Why was Dumbledore messing with blood magic?

"A common misconception," he said seriously, eyes still twinkling. "Blood magic can be born from all sorts of things, including love. It can create some very dark curses, but when used correctly it's completely harmless: both to the soul and to others. And extremely powerful, almost unbreakable."

"Right," she said, still nervous to pick the bottle back up.

"I want you to put a drop of your blood into this bottle. Mine is already in there, so once you do it will turn as black as normal ink. However, only you and I will be able to read it - to anyone else it will look like you're writing to a friend from school."

"OK," she said, beginning to understand. "And what would you like me to write?"

"Lists," he said simply. "Anyone you're introduced to, be that at a ball or a dinner, or somebody visiting. Any names you can find. We'll do the rest."

"We?" she asked.

"I," he corrected. Silvanna thought he was full of it: there was definitely a 'we'. "And I want to reassure you that you're putting yourself in no danger. You will simply seem as though you are one of them."

"Can I ask you something, sir?" He nodded his approval. "Why did you let me carry on with tutoring Marlene?"

He nodded, generating his answer. "I thought it may ease your transition, and you kept it very quiet. I understand that's stopped now?" She swallowed and nodded. "Perhaps it's for the best." She didn't reply to that. She was sure he was right though, as much as it hurt now. "Finally, I would like to ask one more thing of you. I'll need you to use new handwriting for your letters to me, and I will do the same. We also will not sign our names on these letters, nor will we address them. If they're intercepted-"

"The information will be anonymous," she said. "Yes I understand. That's clever."

He smiled. "I thought so."

*****

She spent the train ride home in solitude, reading her summer textbooks that Evelyn had sent on in advance. They arrived at Whitechapel shortly after, and Silvanna found her room to be just as it was, but cleaner.

The summer holidays began as though they were back at Hogwarts: with lessons. Silvanna and Severus were being tutored separately, sometimes in the garden, but taking over one of the drawing rooms and dining room when it was too breezy outside. She had hers with Madame Coolbridge: a severe, plump woman in her fifties, who scolded Silvanna for not taking more NEWTs. But she wasn't the worst teacher ever, and they discussed some fascinating topics, even delving into politics and wizarding law, but also beginner piano. And the usual anti-muggle bigotry and dark curses. Lessons with her were every morning, including Saturdays but not Sundays, from eight until one. She didn't mind the early rise, as she was up and about at that time anyway. Afternoons she had dance lessons again, two until half three but only three days a week, and after that she was as free as she'd like.

Well, not quite. There were many visits to Twillfit and Tattings where Evelyn had a number of fabrics and colours tried on her, before ordering dresses and robes of all kinds. Never any shade of red though, nor dark greens. Olive and sage suited her complexion nicely, but Evelyn wasn't brave enough to try her with an emerald or a forest, and it was probably for the best. She didn't know how far her dignity could stretch.