Comfort <loki fanfic>

My eyes shot open. It was 3:35 in the morning and I had been trying to get to sleep for ages. Must have at least been 3 hours. I could feel my eyes starting to water, it had been so silent and quiet and calm that there was nothing to distract me from how I was feeling anymore.

I buried my face in my pillow, trying to stop the thoughts that would always float through my mind as I tried to sleep. They wouldn't leave as quickly as they came either.

I just laid there for a few minutes until I sat up in bed and just let my tears fall, I was too tired to fight it anymore. I tried to be as quiet as possible, I didn't want to wake up Loki, who had the room next to mine.

3:40 the clock read. That had only been 5 minutes?? It felt like longer. My knees were up to my chest and I was hugging them, trying to somehow console myself so I could sleep. I was just so tired. I hadn't slept well since Loki and I took over New York, in a way I missed it, I had got so close to Loki and we were inseparable. I missed that a lot.

I had been running on coffee and energy drinks for most of the days, not really caring what happened. Everyday felt like the same as it was just mission after mission everyday. But in all honesty, I didn't mind going on the missions with Loki, his sarcasm made it less insufferable, and I always caught him looking at me as I was fighting.

I sat there thinking, when the bedroom door creaked open and a line of light came through the door, piercing through the darkness. I held my breath and wiped my eyes before they saw me.

"Y/n?" Lokis voice whispered from the door. I saw his shadow from the line of light, and half his body coming in from the door. Shit, I didn't mean to wake him. He must've heard me crying, and he had known me to never show emotion and I always thought I intimidated him. And I didn't exactly want that to change, it was safer and better that way.

"What do you want?" I managed to force out. My voice was shaky, and it was probably best I hadn't said anything.

"Are- are you crying?" He said, almost in disbelief. He walked more in the room, pushing the door open more with his body as it quietly pushed along the carpet. He turned on a small light so he could see me better. It was dim, and I could hide my face if looked away from him.

Loki walked over to me and I moved my eyes slightly to look at him, still covering my face. He was just in sweatpants and a T-shirt. I wasn't used to seeing him like this, he was usually in a suit or his mission outfit. I was only in an oversized shirt and I didn't even know who's it was. Everyone kind of stole each other's clothes. Or tony would just buy you new ones anyway.

"Is that my shirt?" He said, stopping briefly to look at me. Oh, so that's who's it was. I didn't say anything, I just continued to look away.

Loki sat down next to me on the bed and lifted my chin up with one of his fingers and I finally looked at him. His black hair fell loosely down to his shoulders, it looked less greasy now, I always used to tease him for his hair, but it actually looks sort of nice. My eyes shifted to his, you could easily get lost in his perfect, light green eyes.

His fingers still resting gently under my chin, I could feel my eyes starting to water again and he cupped my face with his hands. "Are you ok?" He asked, trying not to loose eye contact.

No one had ever really asked me that before and I broke down in front of him. I knew he didn't know what to do in the moment, so he just slowly wrapped his arms around me, holding me tightly into a hug. I rested my head on his shoulder, and closed my eyes.

For the first time in a long time I actually felt safe. Loki moved his hand to softly stroke my hair and my crying stopped. I didn't want this to end, he was the only one who made me feel calm.

"Loki- could you maybe stay here tonight?" I asked quietly, not wanting to ruin the atmosphere.

"Of course, darling" he said. I could tell he was slightly smiling through the way he said it. And he laid on the bed, still holding me close. I snuggled close to him, resting my head on his shoulder, with one of his arms around me, stroking my shoulder.

I rested my hand on his chest and he pulled the cover over me, making sure I was comfortable, before he held onto my hand and slightly stroked it with his thumb. 

"You know, it's kind of cute to see you in my clothes." He whispered in my ear.

"Though you would look better with no clothes at all." He added, smirking as he looked down at me. I looked up at him, unable to hide my smile, I would gladly wear no clothes for him. But right now I just wanted to sleep, while I was safe in his arms. He placed a couple gentle kisses on my forehead and it wasn't long before we both fell asleep, and it was the first time I had slept in ages.