A maniac locked up (part 5) <zemo fanfic>

I turned on the flashlight Zemo had given to me and rubbed my finger along the handle, thinking about the memories of him and I. I flashed the light to the floor of Zemo a cell to make sure he was asleep before I began. I didn't shine it in his eyes as I was going to make sure tonight he wasn't awake. And when I was sure he was asleep I made my way to the vent where I had hidden the knife and small smoke bomb.

I unscrewed it slowly and carefully placed the plate on the floor. It clattered a bit as it hit the hard ground but luckily it didn't wake him. I held the small bomb in my hand and spent a final moment deciding wether I should go through with it. There was no going back after this. Weeks of barely any to no sleep at all had lead to this moment.

I threw it in. And hastily placed the vent back over the hole before a lot of the smoke could get in, I only had to screw a couple of the screws in just to make sure it stayed in place. It didn't have to be perfect. I then walked over to the hole I had made in the glass as the gas in the bomb quietly made its way up to the security room.

I pushed back the glass enough for the circle to fall out, quicker than I had originally expected as it hit the floor with a thud. I was amazed it hadn't smashed really. My eyes darted back to Zemo who was surprisingly still asleep. I let out a small sigh of relief and carried on with hacking at the metal bars.

I was out of breath after a few minutes of sawing through it with a pretty much blunt knife. But after a few more cuts with all my strength behind it they were all cut. I smiled in relief and pushed back the bars so I could get through them. I made sure to grab the letter I had written for Zemo and place it in my pocket before I picked the lock with my safety pin and took off the lock. I crawled through without thinking, or without trying to think, about Zemo.

I was finally free. Or I almost was. All I really had to do was take down one guard (easy) and steal his keycard to get through the doors and maybe a gun in case things went south. But I should probably be able to slip through unnoticed if I was careful enough.

I walked in front of Zemo's cell and just looked at him for a second, he had his back to me but i had already memorised his face. Every dint, line, mark and curve of his godly face. I slowly crouched down and placed the letter open on the floor in front of his cell. I knew this was it, there was no going back. I couldn't just get back in the cell and into bed and pretend there wasn't a massive hole in the glass and bars bent outwards.

"Goodbye y/n" Zemo whispered, just as I turned my back to him and faced the door. I didn't dare turn back, I was already slightly annoyed at myself for waking him. I felt a wave of sadness as I whispered goodbye back to him and slowly walked to the door, picking the lock with my safety pin.

It took me a few minutes to get it open but I did manage to open it after a few tries. I walked through without turning back or thinking about him as I knew it would only make it harder to leave.

Making my way through the corridor I sneaked behind a guard and placed my hand over his mouth to silence him while I suffocated him slowly so I could take his keycard and gun. That part was easy. It was sneaking down a corridor full of guards without the flashlight, that I had to turn off so it wouldn't alert any of the other guards, that was hard.

However, I managed to anyway, and I soon saw the final door that I could escape through, into the outdoor world I had craved for months. And though I did hold back before pressing my keycard against the panel, I still followed through and escaped the building, leaving Zemo inside no matter how hard it was.

The next morning Zemo woke to all the cells being empty. He could still hear me say the word goodbye to him on his mind, just like o had said last night. He wasn't used to the cells being empty, even though they always had been before I had been there.

He didn't feel like getting out of bed, so he just sat up and pressed his back against the wall, lifting his hands to his face and rubbed his eyes. It wouldn't be long before the guards came in and realise what had happened. All he had to do was play dumb. But as he opened his eyes he saw paper on the floor outside his cell. He walked over to it and could see the writing from outside the cell glass.

Reading it brought back memories of us talking together for the first time. And us having usual conversations as we did everyday. Regret soon washed over him as he realised he never did say how he truly felt that day. All he did was wish you luck, when really he wished he hadn't. Maybe it was wrong but if your plan had failed it potentially meant you would still be here with him, which was more good for him.

He got to the end of the letter and smiled. He did wish you could've stayed but he knew you were happy now you left. And you were free. He twisted round on his bed and faced the inside of his cell. And immediately noticed the vent. The vent he had never opened. The vent he had never even looked at before. But the vent that's screws were loose. Noticeably loose.

Zemo made sure no guards were around before moving to the vent. And untwisting the screws with his fingers. After they were done he quickly placed his hand under the vent as it fell onto him. He placed his head down and noticed a ....block inside it. He reached in and pulled it out and noticed it was a book. He read the cover out loud:

50 shades of grey