Do you remember (part 4) <steve fanfic>

As we got back to the compound, Steve still didn't say anything. Or even look at me. I ignored him and walked back in silence too. I knew I must've ruined what we had the other day with me and Steve alone together. But it was too late to go back and change it.

Nat and Tony greeted us at the entrance. And Wanda quickly slipped past them, hugging me as I returned. I guess you could say we were friends now. She said she was glad I'm ok and all the soppy stuff. I was never really one to say stuff like that, but it was nice when she did.

Steve walked past them, ignoring Tony. But that wasn't exactly new. I watched Nat's eyes follow Steve as he walked in the compound, leaving me outside with the rest of them. Then her eyes darted between me and him before she followed him back inside and picked up speed to catch up.

My eyes also followed Steve, and Nat as she caught up to him and started talking. I couldn't hear them tho, they were too far away and Wanda was talking to me, asking me what felt like an infinite amount of questions.

Steve just saved me. Then ignored me and left, I thought, still ignoring Wanda as she checked I was ok. It sounded like her voice was fuzzy, and blurry. It's like I couldn't hear her, only the thoughts of Steve that flooded my mind.

My eyes darted back to Wanda as her voice became more clear and I snapped into reality and out of my daydreams.

"Are you ok, y/n? Do you need help?" She asked, trying to keep eye contact with me as she did so. Her eyes examined my face and looked round checking for anything that could be wrong, any scars or cuts. But there was nothing. Only a few bruises on my wrists she didn't see, from when Loki had grabbed it.

"Tony, get her to the lab." She looked at Tony with worry in her eyes. But I was fine. I'm sure I would've escaped Loki without Steve's help and made it out fine anyway. But it was nice he was always to the rescue for me.

"I'm fine. I'm just gonna go back to my room" I managed to say, reassuring Wanda I was ok. I just didn't want to spend any time with anyone. I didn't want to be around anyone right now.

Wanda didn't reply. But she still let me go when I walked into the compound. I could feel her eyes watching me as I walked inside. But I didn't look back, I didn't have to. I only had one thing on my mind, Steve. If I could just catch up with him I might be able to talk to him. I just needed to be around him.

I scanned all the rooms I walked through, all the corridors and round all the corners and I eventually found him, still with Nat. But he didn't see me. And I could hear them talking. Clear as day. I could hear them talking about ... me.

"I can't be around her." He said, not looking at Nat, but she was trying to make eye contact with his eyes that were stuck to the floor. I know I shouldn't eavesdrop and I knew I probably wouldn't have wanted to know what they said about me. But of course, I did it anyway.

"Don't avoid her like last time. Don't do that to yourself" Nat responded, putting her hand on his shoulder trying to show him comfort.

"What other choice do I have. It pains me knowing I'm hopelessly in love with her and she doesn't even know me. I have to watch her find other people, I have to watch her try to fall in love with me cause she knows. She knows there was something between us no matter how much I tried to hide it." He said, getting emotional thinking about us. Nat cut him off. Asking a question i also wanted to know.

"Then why push her away. Why hide your past together? I've seen how you look at her, and I had to watch as you push her away." She looked him sternly in the eyes. Not letting him look away. Her eyes fixed on his.

"I wanted the love we had before she lost her memory. When we would just spend days in bed together. I didn't want her to be with me cause she used to be. I wanted it to be because she loved me for me. Not our past" he said. Looking straight back into mats eyes, as if he was looking straight through her and saw me in her eyes.

"I miss when we would just be laughing together. Watching her favourite film. When I could watch as she fell in love with me, as I did with her." He continued. Not stopping for breath. Words just cascading out his mouth like a waterfall. Refusing to stop for air.

"And when I finally got the day when we did watch a film together and laughed together it reminded me of before. and for a split second I thought there was a chance. But when she pushed me away from the kiss it broke my heart. And I knew she wasn't there. It was a different person. And I didn't want to watch her push me away again. I didn't want hope anymore." He said, choking up. Finally taking a breath since he started talking. And he broke eye contact, no longer seeing me in her eyes. No longer seeing me.

But I saw him. I saw him from across the room the same way I saw him in my memories. Memories I had lost. The ones that came flooding back to me as he finished his speech. The memories he talked about flashed before me. Us together in bed. Me just looking at him with dreamy eyes, not wanting to get up cause I just wanted to be with him. He looked back at me with the same love I had for him. That was the moment I had realised I was in love with him. All those years ago.

The moment he realised he was in love with me flooded to my mind. Flashing before me as if someone was playing a video of our love on a screen in HD. it was clear and I could see it. An anniversary of our love together. Just outside on a field together. Him cuddling me in his arms as he played with my hair, twiddling with it in his hands. And I laid in his lap, my head on his thigh as we just looked at each other. I knew at that moment he loved me. I could tell from the way he looked at me. I could tell from his eyes, so deep with so many emotions packed behind them, all the emotions combined making just one. Love.

Then when I looked at Steve again. Not in the memories. I saw him the way I used to. I saw the memories behind those blue eyes I had always loved, that were now looking back at me. He could see me again, as I could see him. And I wanted to run to him and feel his touch and feel him against me, holding me close to him. And I wanted to just look at him and admire him and take in his perfect features and perfect body. Steve turned to me as I just stared at him, my mouth slightly open. And I took a few steps towards him, and he did the same