nothing lasts forever

FOR FOREVER
ZERO; NOTHING LASTS FOREVER

"THIS IS Y/N, Y/N THIS IS DILUC AND KAEYA

"THIS IS Y/N, Y/N THIS IS DILUC AND KAEYA."

the five year old hid behind their father, they glanced at the other child in front of them. he had scarlet hair, dressed in dress shorts and a white button up shirt. he had a smile on his face while holding his hand in his father's. he didn't seem much older than y/n if not the same age. the other boy had darker skin and an eyepatch on his right eye, he didn't seem very talkative — like y/n.

"hi!" the enthusiastic boy waved with his free hand. the other kid however still hid behind their fathers legs. "ah..." he sounded apologetic, like he had scared a little animal.

"y/n, say hello." d/n encouraged.

d/n l/n, one of the knights of favonius who worked alongside fredrica gunnhildr, one of the most known knights in ordo favonius. though y/n didn't get much of his own traits, they wanted to be a knight just like him.

"hello..." they said softly, e/c eyes meeting the shiny ruby-like ones.

"they're not much of a talker with strangers," d/n sheepishly chuckled while laying his hand on the child's head. "give them time and they'll warm up to your boys."

crepus gave a hearty laugh, "no worries, let them roam around the square while we talk about business." d/n nodded, nudging his kid towards the two other boys. "play nice with y/n, alright you two?"

"okay father!" the two of them synchronized. the two adults made their way to the nearest bench while the three children were left near the fountain in their fathers' view.

"your father is a knight, right?" kaeya asked curiously.

y/n's eyes lit up like a dozen stars, "yes! my dad is super cool, he goes like swish, and woosh with his weapon!" they definitely knew what kept her talking. "i bet he's cooler than your dad." y/n boasted.

"nuh-uh," diluc replied. "father owns one of the chief wineries in mondstadt!"

"wine... isn't that alcohol?"

"yeah."

"so... your father is an alcoholic?"

"Y/N! I CAN HEAR YOU!" d/n yelled while y/n simply whined and apologized - i mean they were six so who can blame them?

"HUH... A VISION?"

ten year old diluc showed his now best friend the charm that barely fit in his own hands. the jewel had a small pyro logo within a indestructible glass dome. it felt warm to the touch, and y/n was mesmerized by it.

"cool right?"

"i... guess." y/n handed the vision back to him, kaeya standing beside them. at this point y/n had already been told stories of the "eyes of the gods" in old stories and vision users themselves. y/n could've also sworn they've seen diluc and kaeya's father with one - but then again that could've been their imagination.

"you don't sound like it's a big deal..." diluc's eyebrows furrowed, hoping to get a better and more excited reaction from y/n.

"it is!" they retorted, "sorry.. i just always wanted one so it's a surprise you got one." y/n smiled sheepishly. "i'm happy! kaeya's happy! we're all happy!" part of that was a lie, y/n didn't know how visions got handed out but yet they still worked hard, just as much as their red-headed best friend who now weld a vision.

"i think this calls for some cake!" y/n had smiled, linking both diluc and kaeya's arms in theirs. "lets go!"

"FATHER, FATHER LOOK I-"

y/n had showed their brand new ordo favonius uniform they had just gained for getting into the knights at the age of 14. kaeya smiling behind them with a proud look plastered on his face, he had gotten in at the age of 16** - he was older than diluc and y/n making him a better applicant for the knights.

** not canon, i have no idea when he joined the knights

but there he was, that red-headed boy who y/n spent most of their time with. diluc ragnvindr had just made captain. of course he did, he's always been one step ahead of them. but y/n couldn't be upset, it's a big role to fulfill and needed someone capable.

"y/n, have you heard? diluc got named cavalry captain!" their father had waved at y/n, however y/n's grip on the favonius polearm gripped tighter. "come on, let the two knights take photos together."

"two?" y/n mumbled.

"come on over here kaeya, take a photo with diluc." crepus signaled over his other son for the picture. kaeya looked guiltily to the shorter brand new knight, "we don't have forever!"

"coming, father!" kaeya had rushed over to diluc's side, standing next to him as the kamera pointed at the two brothers and the flash going off.

a hand placed upon y/n's shoulders managed to snap them out of the daze they had gone through. "don't worry, y/n. we can celebrate your acceptance in headquarters." it was none other than grand master varka.

"ah, grand master... it's fine, i was going to celebrate with kaeya and diluc." though celebrating their acceptance was more of a celebrating a new cavalry captain.

varka hummed, glancing at the two happy brothers. "alright, but i always have extra cake in my office, stop by sometime." smiling at the knight, "you've already made me proud."

y/n's mouth had opened to say something but no words were said, just a simple "thank you!" and a small smile was enough.

a/n: and then they finally started writing again. hello everybody, this is my newest book :D again i have very...very inconsistent update schedules but i do hope i can update this one fast since chapters are meant to be less than 1500 words (my usual.. for each chapter)

- ky <3