i; in the eyes of the gods

FOR FOREVER
ONE; IN THE EYES OF THE GODS

— for the storm tonight was either the blessing or curse from the gods.

FIVE-ISH YEARS BEFORE PRESENT EVENTS

"ARCHONS ITS FUCKING COLD..."

you opened the door to the large winery, soaking in water from the pouring rain that came from above like the gods almighty. you were cold and drenched in water and mondstadt city was too far for your liking — so you went the one place you could go uninvited, the dawn winery.

"hey... diluc? kaeya?" you cupped your hands together, hoping to make your voice louder than it actually was. hugging yourself tight, you slipped off your boots and watched diluc rush around the corner.

"y/n, you're gonna get a cold in that rain." he scolded, taking your coat off and replacing it with his own. "adeline, could you go fetch a clean towel?"

"of course, master diluc."

"s-sorry," a sneeze etched its way up your nose, but unfortunately it never came out. "they put me on a mission with a few other knights, but my captain had abandoned me in the pouring rain..."

a heavy sigh from the left of you made your eyes flicker towards the other brother. "they've got something against you, y/n. i just haven't figured out what."

diluc walked you towards the fireplace, you observed the warm colours illuminate the stone brick around it as the reflection in your eyes shimmered.

unfortunately for the two of them, you had not been out on the same division as they were. you were apart of a more complicated and confidential division — which you didn't mind of course since you kept to yourself when times come.

it's been two years since you became a knight, one year since you got assigned to the division you worked in now. you were definitely one of the best knights out in the field, so why was it that your captain held you at low regards, always eager to leave you alone in bad situation?

"really, i'm alright. i'll take it up with inspector eroch later." you turned to the two brothers, "no need to worry."

"here you go, y/n." adeline passed the clean towel towards you. you smiled and thanked the head maid. pressing the towel against your hair, you noticed a tall man come out of the basement of the winery.

"ah, y/n nice to see you. your dad still out on duties?"

"hello, mr. crepus." you waved, the two brothers idly talking about your captain. "he's been too busy with work, so it's just me and mom for the time being."

in all honesty you don't know what kept your father from coming home, even if it was the wee hours of the night. you didn't see him at the knights headquarters, you don't even see him at the taverns or the winery drinking with diluc's father. it was alright, you told yourself. your mother was caring and she did make your favourite food like it was the back of her hand.