x; distanced longing

FOR FOREVER
X; DISTANCED LONGING

FOR FOREVERX; DISTANCED LONGING

STARING UP AT THE TALL BOOKSHELVES that lined the inside of the familiar office brought you the same sense of home and nostalgia that you had experienced just as you were a while ago. the windows were always kept clean and spotless like ever.

"well well..." a smooth voice interrupted your thoughts for a moment as you reminisced about the memories you had in the same room. "look what the cat dragged back in." you turn your head from the shelves to the figure who leaned against the doorframe of the office.

"hi kaeya." your lips curling upwards in a soft smile. he hasn't changed a bit in the past few years you've been gone, but he looks taller, and much more mature than before. "did jean tell you i was here?"

"she didn't, but i did overhear some bright outrider of your initial arrival." he closed the door behind him before continuing. "i'm hurt you wouldn't even come to see your best friend, y/n." he snided with a sly smirk playing across his face. "-and to come walking in the city with diluc too. archons i was surprised to hear that."

you rolled your eyes, stepping down to meet (almost) eye to eye with the captain.

"you've gotten taller." he cocked an eyebrow at your sudden growth spurt from the last time he saw you. "not so little as before, hm?"

"not all all."

"you're different now." he paused, his eyes scanning your figure for a moment before speaking again. "it's like how you were when we were children, but more mature and experienced."

"what's that supposed to mean?" you rose an eyebrow at the captain.

"nothing bad of the sort, y/n. i just mean that your smile is the same from back then." kaeya answered, taking a few steps towards the window of the grand masters office. "how did you and diluc reconcile anyways?"

"i wouldn't really say reconcile, i'll tell you about it over a drink or two." he simply nodded in response with a smirk playing across his lips, "i didn't just come back home for nothing though, ludi harpastum's in the coming month or two, yes?"

"so you remembered," kaeya smiled, glancing in your direction. "it is. but you're pretty early for it."

"i'm staying here until i'm called back for duty if needed. kaeya, i'm back home."

"y/n, come here for a second." crepus called over the young kid run around the plaza with their two friends. they sighed before bouncing up to the adult, "here, happy ludi harpastum."

to their surprise, it was a small brooch of a flower, the last name "ragnvindr"  engraved on the back of the accessory.

"it's just a small thing so you can always walk into the estate as if you lived there." he said as if the young child wasn't there like it was a nine to five job but actually having fun. "plus, the boys said it'd be nice to give you a gift."