iii; ephemeral

FOR FOREVER
III; EPHEMERAL
(adj) lasting for a very short time

the night where they felt the most happiness together before the accident.

— the night where they felt the most happiness together before the accident

DILUC PACED BACK AND FORTH ACROSS the hardwood flooring. three weeks have passed since you had left for liyue that day. he was upset that he couldn't say much else to you as you departed from the city, but he figured he'd tell you all about the missions he's had over the course of your absence. he wanted to hear all about liyue and your mission, though less about the mission because it was always the same when he asked.

kaeya couldn't make the first few hours due to work, so it'd just be diluc and his father attending the gala crepus was throwing for business.

"are you waiting for y/n?"

he turned his head towards his father. "yes, they promised they'd make it." diluc looked out the window, wondering when you would show up. the part had already started a few minutes prior, some heirs and their family had already flooded in.

"they'll show up. give them time son." diluc nodded looking back his dad. "let's go greet the guests while we wait, come on."

•••

you breathed in, already hearing the hustle and bustle of the party when you were escorted back to mondstadt.

liyue was spectacular, the people were so kind as well. your mom knew most people from being from liyue so many people knew where you got most of your features from. the place you stayed at was owned by an odd man who your mother known most of her life. he practically pulled mora from his ass every time you asked to get something when escorted by him.

does being a consultant at a funeral parlor really make that much mora?

you shook your head, walking towards the giant building. two knights stood on guard, probably making sure no one uninvited came in.

"hey thats..." the guard on duty glanced at his partner. "young y/n, you're back!"

you held the hem of your clothing, bowing hello to the knights on guard. "ah... can i come in?"

the door was opened by the two knights. "of course, enjoy yourself young y/n." you thanked them while walking into the main corridor. there you were greeted by elzer, who was also surprised to see you at the event.

"glad to see you here," elzer handed you a small mask. "masquerade event. young master diluc has been awaiting your return." you smiled, taking the black mask from elzer. he let you into the main hall where the heart of the party belonged.

you assumed most of the people in the room were rich, from business owners from all over teyvat to even those with old money passed down through generations.

you weren't born into wealth, unfortunately. your father made money from being a knight, as well as his second job. from sources in liyue, he got paid a lot. your mother had worked government in liyue before as a member of the qixing.