ix. driven to madness

FOR FOREVER
IX. DRIVEN TO MADNESS

 DRIVEN TO MADNESS

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

the nostalgic sweet aroma of the spring crops had brought you a sense of nostalgia, the yearning to go back home after all these years had finally dissolved in your mind. the familiar area of the vineyard had come into view with the evening sun casting over the winery in all its greatness.

"we're home." you gave diluc a short look, wondering what expression would cross his face this time. "how long has it been since you've been here?"

"two years, if i recall correctly." he answered dully, returning your gaze with his own. "i assume it's the same time as you've been absent." you nodded slowly, placing your attention to the dawn winery. there had been a sinking feeling in your stomach ever since you had stepped foot out of stone gate, you couldn't help but sigh. "something wrong?"

you shook your head, forcing a laugh out. "nothing... don't worry." you could tell he felt curious to what you were really feeling, but he didn't press further. "ah, elzer. what a pleasant surprise!" you changed the topic after catching your sights on the person who was in charge of the winery after diluc's absence.

"young y/n, master diluc." a soft smile grazed his features. he matured for sure, you could tell that from miles away. he observed the two of you and let out an exhausted sigh. "ah, it's quite relieving..."

"what is?" diluc asked.

"seeing you with y/n, it puts me at ease to know that you weren't completely alone." elzer confessed with a bashful stance. he quickly ushered you and diluc to the winery to get you refreshed up, but in which you denied and said you'd be heading straight back to the city. diluc also had the same idea, but to oversee the tavern to see how things were since he left.

"right, we'll be off. thank you, elzer. i'll be back soon." diluc said, gently pushing you forwards to start walking again. "are you sure you don't want some rest? you look ill."

"thanks." you snided, glaring at the man and reacting to his backhanded comment. "i just don't like being in this area.. no offense."

"none taken," he replied, scanning the surroundings. it couldn't have been you felt unsafe here, you could easily defend yourself after what you had told him back near qiongji estuary.

"just how many people have died at your hands?"

a short chuckle had elicited out of your mouth before walking further across the light dirt and gravel path. "why do you want to know? will you call me a murderer?" you jested, kicking some stray rocks onto the sides. "—and how did you hear of this? someone like you shouldn't have knowledge about my work."

"i overheard it at the docks shortly after you departed." he answered, trailing behind you. the docks; always a place you want to go to if you want the hottest gossip in the city. goods can also be knowledge, not just some objects that have a price slapped on them. "i was only curious, but it seems as though you did."