Kaya

Against all odds, Kaya had submitted lists of those she wanted in her circle on time, unlike Arcane. Well, in reality, she'd just taken a look at anybody Emilee had had to discard off her list—which was a lot because all it took was a smile for her to decide you were a sweet soul—and then she'd asked Medea for advice. The Voire had rolled her eyes but had quickly managed to sort the trash from the tolerable.

In all honesty, Kaya didn't understand the point of circles. It was meant to be the equivalent to a queen's court but under the pretense of religion. What did it matter whether she drank tea with the same people each day? There were more pressing matters.

In the meantime, she'd approached the Chèr about baking for charity and he'd accepted the idea to her surprise. In fact, he'd encouraged it. He thought it was wise to support those who were less fortunate due to the benefits to their image as well as the fact that it was a morally right thing to do. Against all odds, he was growing on her.

It was strange how much she's settled into this life. She even found herself being happy, as much as she hated it. This was wrong, the spirits were made up and this country was messed up. But somehow her subconscious seemed to be consuming her doubts and hatred. Half the time she saw Leere, she even forgot to be angry with them, stupid power thieves.

We are helping you.

Thank you.

The thoughts vanished as quickly as it had come and Kaya grimaced. She couldn't remember what that had been about. Maybe her mind was playing tricks on her again. It had been a long time since she'd been perfectly mentally healthy.

'Oh Sorita, it is a sin,' wailed the girl she was drinking tea with.

What had she been talking about? Kaya wasn't sure, but she decided to do the girl a favour and admitted, 'I apologise, my mind wandered. What were you talking about?'

But the girl took it the wrong way. 'Oh, my punishment has begun.' She sobbed and dashed out, dramatically clutching her wrist to her heart.

'Well done, you got her to leave us alone,' said Arcane, sipping her tea.

Merari was sobbing. 'This court is doomed. If people think stalking is a sin...'

'She was picking the lock to his room so that she could watch him sleep, not just bumping into him in the gardens like you do.'

Yeah, Kaya had no regrets. If that girl thought the spirits were punishing her by not paying her any attention, the poor soul she was plaguing might get some peace and quiet.

'So, nice tea-ing with you guys, but I think I might go,' said Kaya, already standing up.

'Aw, please stay,' pleaded Emilee. At her side was her new friend Lavia. She kind of gave Kaya the creeps with her overly religious nature. She seemed to have a Libtoria quote for every occasion and was obviously just trying to leech off Emilee's position of influence like everyone in this court.

'As tempting as it is, I have something I want to do.' Namely going to the kitchen.

Kaya pushed open the door only to end up with a chest in her face. When she looked up, she recognised the Chèr's jaw.

'I apologise, but I'm afraid I need the three of you. Without Merari,' he added with a tired, but entertained smile.

'But I'm moral-'

'Actually, last time anyone described you as that you refuted and claimed you were a judgmental chum.'

Merari melodramatically sighed. 'I knew I shouldn't have trusted you to understand a joke.' Regardless, she left.