Emilee

Mirja's fingers nimbly weaved Emilee's hair into an elaborate updo. The longer she continued, the clumsier she got. This wasn't down to her own incompetence, but rather due to Ela's inability to keep her criticisms to herself.

'You needed to part the hair more centrally, you're making her look like a badly drawn oval.'

'This style doesn't work with her hair texture. No, not at all.'

'The style isn't mature enough, she looks like a girl being presented at court for the first time.'

'That was part of our thinking,' said Emilee. 'The ball celebrates the arrival of all the Eseterrians. It rather reminds me of coming out into society.'

'You're twenty-seven, not a maiden trying to sell her sunburnt cheeks as a healthy glow. Don't you want something, I don't know, more suitable?' Ela waved her hands, trying to settle on the best word. She frowned at the end, still not satisfied.

'Ela, I value your opinion, truly, but Mirja and I like it and when we showed it to Lavia, she described me as a "cute little lamb".' Emilee couldn't suppress her smile.

Ela grimaced. 'I'm not sure that's a good thing.'

Emilee rolled her eyes. 'Stop being so paranoid, for Gadeden's sake.'

'Speaking of paranoia, Lady Shanell hit her husband on the head with a book because she thought he was a robber,' Ela filled her in with a wicked smile.

Emi gasped. 'I guess love really does make you blind.'

'I doubt it. I bet she's been wanting to do that for years now, just finally got an excuse.'

'Ela!'

Ela showed no shame and just grinned deviously while rubbing a bit of red lipstick on Emilee's lips.

Mirja managed to finish Emilee's hair without anymore criticism, then left the room. The moment the door opened, Lavia danced in, making Emilee jump.

'Can't you ask first?' Ela grumbled.

'Oh, Emi doesn't mind, does she?'

'Not at all,' Emilee awkwardly responded. She would actually prefer it if Lavia knocked, but she was scared that would make Lavia think she didn't love her.

'Ah, there are so many people I need to introduce you to this evening. There's a few of my relatives, then a load of my childhood friends and then—'

Ela cut her off. 'Actually, Lavia, I was planning on spending some time with my sister this evening. After all, if you hoard all her free time, it's only fair I get to spend time with her at the ball.'

'You've had years with her, I'm just trying to make up for the fact I didn't meet her sooner.'

'Sounds to me like you want to monopolise her,' Ela remarked. 'You know what; we shouldn't boss Emi around. She can make her own decision.'

'Well, uh, I'd happily spend time with both of you.' Emilee bit her lip, readying herself for the response that was to follow.

'I really doubt your sister wants to meet all the family members. Besides, it would be rather confusing for them to meet identical twins,' claimed Lavia.

To both of their surprise, Ela didn't insult Lavia. 'I suppose not.'

Emi felt terrible now that Ela seemed to have given up. She reached for Ela's hand, but her twin just slipped out of the room. Emi longed to run after her, but Lavia had already started talking again.

'My, she has a flair for the dramatic. Still, I'm glad she accepted that it's just one night. You two could just as easily chat tomorrow.'

Emi squeezed her hands between her legs. 'I don't want her to think I don't care about her...'