Merari

The palace was clearing out at last. Finally you could think without being distracted. Not that the guests had only had downsides. After making heart eyes at one of the visiting politicians at a soiree, they'd stolen away to a hidden corner for a nice make out session.

Many of the Cinean guests had decided to stay a while longer, including Cassian Bay. Last she'd heard, he was trying to figure out how to go about his business in the future. The religious and political conflict between Avi and Cines meant that many foreign businessmen didn't wish to invest in the company of somebody who was so closely tied to an Eseterrian. That meant Emris and Lilith would be staying for a while longer. Merari didn't know whether to celebrate or cry. She settled on trying to do both simultaneously, but that resembled happy crying too much for her taste.

Grand plié, tendu, grand port de bras, port de bras, devenu plié, ronde en l'air, tendu... Merari went through the adagio, keeping her stomach tensed up and making sure not to hunch up her shoulders. Arcane was pulling up her shoulders. Merari couldn't help but grin.

Predictably, the ballet mistress corrected her with a sharp tap on the shoulders. Arcane jolted in surprise and Merari observed the back of her neck going slightly red. Something was distracting Arcane and Merari was eagerly anticipating discovering what it was.

Half an hour later, they'd switched their leotards and pointe shoes for gowns and fur-lined boots. Paths had been cleared in the snow, though they were wet. Spring had returned a day or two after the blizzard, making it all seem rather surreal. As if to enforce this, birds sang songs of springtime.

As they strolled back to the palace, they were trailed by guards—one of the extra security measures that had been in place since the death of the Ocùl. Arcane was still entangled in thoughts. It was hard to tell the nature of them since Arcane had her courtier's face on, although she was absent-mindedly tugging at her gloves.

'Boo!'

Once again, the Eseterrian jolted and this time almost fell into the snow. Merari cackled.

'Could you not?' Arcane muttered.

'It's you're own fault if you're distracted,' said Merari. 'What exactly has the graceful Miss Bay failing to do a perfect triple pirouette?'

Arcane frowned. 'I'm an Eseterrian. I always have a lot on my mind.'

'My ass.' She knew her best friend, she enjoyed the attention and power Gadeden's blessing gave her. Merari wanted to push further, but Arcane's eyes hinted towards the guards and Merari gave the tiniest nod of her head.

'You better not think of any lies though,' she hissed under her breath.

Upon returning to the palace, Merari was left disappointed. A little welcoming squad was waiting, armed with tea cups. At least Arcane was also startled, this didn't seem to have been a calculated move.

'What's going on?' asked Merari.

'Oh, didn't Miss Bay tell you? We're here for afternoon tea and—if Ponyéva wishes to—a lyre performance,' spoke a petite girl. She looked like a fifteen year old wearing her mother's clothes.

Arcane suppressed a sigh with a cordial expression and led them to the seats. Merari sobbed into her Battenberg cake. It was the only way of coping with these girls babbling on about marriage prospects, especially when they were fantasising about romantic proposals. It just made Merari feel really uncomfortable. If someone ever asked for her hand—which wasn't really part of her life plan—could they just give her some nice food and promise her to co-parent all the pets she could want with her? That sounded better than a bouquet and declarations of love.